008

"Wow." You mouthed as you stared at the stage. Bella nudged your shoulder so you would keep walking around to the stage entrance, "Cool, right?" Bella asked. Siri looked over her shoulder at the two of you and joined the conversation, "Yeah! It's even bigger than our debut stage, isn't it?"

"No, actually," Bella said, sounding smart, "It's the same size but it looks bigger."

"It's also higher off the ground." Lu added. "Ten feet. That's why the audience seating is high up and far as well."

"Why do you guys sound so smart?" Sun asked from the back of the line with a pout. Lu and Bella gave each other a look. "Because we are." They chimed.

"Pay attention or you'll trip." Sungmin said as she came upon a flight of stairs. At her words, everyone's sound calmed a little and you climbed up and around the staircase with minimal chatter.

You felt like you were beholding a grand, gold crested cathedral.

It was huge.

High up at the ceiling there were big black spotlights that cast down a pale white-orange glow. The ground  was dark like honey and streaked in different wood-shades. The stage felt like a large round oval and it had an ethereal air. You felt like a god.

You followed random members like a little kid as they ran about the stage. Sun was watching the dapples the spotlights left on the ground, and laughing to something Lu had said. You could see Lu rolling her eyes.

Sungmin was trying to control the situation, "Two minutes! Then the staff will play the music and we have to get into our starting positions!" In reply, you and your band mates chorused, "Okay!" even though you weren't completely focused.

You hummed your song and did little bits of the choreography as you walked. You felt gleeful. You gazed out across the raised seating for the audience, imagining it filled with waves and their UNDERWATER light sticks.

You heard Siri shriek excitedly and you walked across the stage after her. You reached her side, "What? What?" You asked. She pointed beyond the edge of the stage as you inched forward with her. "It's so high, look."

You followed Siri's gaze to the onstretch of the side of the stage, going down, down, down. It was "only" fifteen feet. Only seven feet more than the average ceiling height of a room in a suburban house.

Even so, you felt chills. Your stomach did somersaults at the height. You took a step back, suddenly weary of the edge. The smoothness of the ground looked slippery.

"Okay, Siri unnie, let's-"

A scream reached up into the air. High and filled with terror.

"Siri!"

You scrambled forward to reach her. She clawed at your arms, her legs dangling off the edge. The air erupted into screams and yells as the staff and your band mates ran towards you.

You finally tightened your grip on Siri's hand. Her legs kicked at the wall of the stage as it descended down.

She kicked at thin air.

You got pulled down with her.

All you could hear were screams.

Your screams.

Siri's screams.

Siri screaming that she was sorry.

What a mess.

But it was all over in seconds.

Your body was blocked by Siri's when you hit the floor. A sickening crack resonated the moment she touched the ground. The air was knocked from your lungs and you gasped as you were thrown away from her body onto the cold concrete a couple feet away.

Everything hurt. Every single part of your body ached. You felt like you were on fire.

You were burning.

You were bleeding.

"Se-ri..." You whispered.

Your world went black.