Chapter 2

It was drawing closer to my turn to face the wolf which had left majority of the girls who had faced it a mess.

The ninth girl rose without waiting to be told when number eight shifted back to human form.

She appeared shaken up but was still holding her ground and for the first time since this exercise began, number eight remained on the compound but didn't return to us.
They had her go seat on the benches on the other end.

I observe the girl, whose name I was not familiar with but who I identjfy as, one of the females who preferred to warm-up over chatting with friends. She swayed as she walked, barely managing to stay on her feet before falling like a rag doll onto the bench. She did however retain consciousness which was better than I could say for the other 7.

Number nine was up, she looked confident as she strutted over to Beta Silver. As required she shifted into a wolf of rare fur, russet like the colour of an orange hued sunset. I took a minute and just admired the majestic coat.

"Her wolf is really beautiful." Camille comments, staring appreciatively at the female wolf.

"Agreed. Do you know her?" I ask, wanting to put a name to the face.

"Gracie something. I don't really know her just partnered up with her once."

I nod in understanding. I was next and though I basically knew what they were testing for it did nothing to quell my nerves. I really didn't want to be one of the girls who passed out.

"What number are you by the way?" I throw the question over my shoulder to Camille.

"Fifteen. You're before me right?"

"Next one actually." I grimace as the words sink in.

"Oh boy...good luck!" She gives me a weary thumbs up which did little to encourage me.

Based on how number nine or Gracie as I had come to learn, had gone up all confident I wasn't surprised when she walked over to sit on the bench. She didn't even look fazed like the first person to make it through had, maybe just a little dazed.

"Well here I go."

"Try not to pass out!"  Camille calls and I spin around to give her an exasperated look. "Why'd you have to say that?!"

"Sorry my bad." She smiles sheepishly and I try to steady my heart rate as I walk the distance to the wolf who only seemed to get bigger the closer I got.

Having its sole focus on me served as a reminder of what the beast really is, a predator. Its eyes stalked my every move until I stood before it feeling very much like prey.

Vincent spoke up, reigning me in. "Go ahead and shift."

I comply, quickly stepping out of my oversized shirt. We did a lot of training in our wolf form, and thus kept the clothes to a minimum. It would seem uncomfortable to an ordinary human to be so exposed around others but it was natural to werewolves. We saw so much of each other naked that we were no longer fazed by it at this point. But that was only for when we would be constantly shifting otherwise we cover up like anybody else.

Having Beta Silver's eyes on me was nerve-wracking so I speed up the process, trading in my human form for that of my wolf in record time.

My wolf's fur just like my hair was a dark brown colour and eyes a honey brown. I was also about the size of the average she-wolf, nothing noteworthy.

"Beta Silver will use his dominance on you, try and endure it for as long as possible." Vincent explains rather normally, making no extra comments. He was on good behaviour with another higher up present is what I understood.