Chapter 12

"I promise you it's safe and has been tested numerous times. There are hardly any side effects..." Delilah sighs in defeat.

For the past five minutes she had been using every trick in the book to sell us on volunteering to try her concoctions. Despite the surplus of coaxing we all remained embedded in our seats unwilling to step forward.

Beta Silver had stepped away to check on the guys' training, asking that we cooperate with Delilah in the meantime.

"Please, if one of you would come forward I could prove to you that you all have nothing to fear. Someone? Anyone?" She pleads for the umpteenth time, voice trembling from how much force she was exerting in trying to persuade us.

She slumps back in her seat, when she receives no feedback, allowing her hair to cascade in front of her face successfully blocking our view and probably the same vice versa of us. I felt bad for her but not enough to go drink whatever was suppose to be in that bottle.

"What's the hold up?" Beta Silver queries, coming back over to us. He regards the folding table which he had asked a servant to bring out, so that Delilah could set up, along with a chair. Seeing everything exactly the way he left it originally, he quirks a brow while looking to her.

"I'm so sorry sir, no one will come up." She squeaks, head bent as far as it could go.

"You all have to go, you realize that right? Whether you go first or last, the Alpha has demanded that the seven of you take the serum." I noticed it the first time he spoke of the Alpha but there is an obvious distaste he holds whenever referring to Fallon.

His eyes seem to visibly darken, immediately returning to it's natural hue that you would swear you envisioned it.

A Beta not fond of the Alpha that appointed him, that was odd. Maybe I was just imagining things, projecting his irritation with us right now on something else.

For an awkward moment there is a stare off between Beta Silver and Delilah and the group of us shying away on the benches. No one speaks, we communicate with our eyes, our point being that we didn't want any part of this and theirs that they wanted us to hurry up.

"Fine be that way." Beta Silver breaks the silence walking a fine line between mild irritation and anger.

He calls forth a servant, whispering a few words, which despite how hard I try to listen I'm unable to pick up on. The servant scurries off out the gate and I'm left complex. Even Delilah seemed a little unsure of herself as she fidgets in her chair waiting for something to happen.

The awkward atmosphere is interrupted when two minutes later, the same servant races back in carrying with him a clipboard.

Beta Silver accepts it graciously and the servant vanishes from the compound as they always did when not needed.

"Gracie Sheyre will go first." So it was a list of all our names. He was no longer allowing us to volunteer to go up, he was commanding us to.

Gracie jolts in her seat, sharply turning to the Beta and then quickly casting her gaze to the floor. She hesitantly raises from the bench, looking up at the table laid out with the main four bottles. Looking back at the rest of us, a certain courage descends on her and she walks up to the table eagerly.

"Which one?"

"Between which moon phase do you usually have your heat?"

She ponders the question momentarily "During new moon for the most part."

With the moon taking roughly about a month to complete a full phase cycle, each phase lasted close to a week. New moon started off the cycle meaning Gracie got her heats at the beginning of the month.