Chapter 10

I was shaking in my boots, not literally since I wasn't wearing boots or even shoes for that matter but the point remained.

When the Alpha finally decided to speak to us, I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't what I was hearing.

"Excuse me but what exactly is a 'baiter'?" The only one bold enough to raise a question amidst Alpha Fallon's address was none other than Gracie.

In the little time since I've known her, Gracie has become my idol. I aspire to be that upfront and fearless in the face of the most powerful figure in the pack. Shame she might not be alive long enough for me to continue looking up to her.

"What's your name?" Cold and harsh  Alpha Fallon's words, manipulates all eyes to Gracie, who despite the situation remains collected.

"Gracie Sheyre, Alpha." Her head angles down just enough to show respect as if lowering her head even a single degree more would have caused her imaginary crown to tip.

"Sheyre? As in Beta Sheyre?"

"Yes sir." How? Just how, was she so calm speaking with the Alpha, I would have a mental breakdown if I were in her shoes.

The Alpha studies her momentarily, eyes raking over her body from head to toe probably comparing the resemblance between her and the father who I could only guess he waa an upstanding Beta in the pack for the Alpha to recognize him by name.

"Well if you must know, a baiter is what we're calling the new role we're implementing to the army. A job created specifically with the most fitting females in mind." His speech was smooth but his words were daunting. Was there really such a thing? A role only females could perform.

"The seven of you show great prospect, I look forward to taking you on as Moon Crusade's first baiter team of baiters." His expression doesn't convey how elated he claims to be. The more I pondered on the term baiter, the more sinister it came off as.

I look around me at the other girls, wandering if I was the only one not following. So far there has been a lot of talk about 'baiters' and not a lot of clarity given as to what exactly the job description entailed.

If I had to consider the literal meaning of the word bait, it would be something along the line of something used to lure. Were we expected to act as bait and for what or who exactly?

Suddenly my attention shifts to my right as someone came to settle next to me. My eyes widen at Beta Silver, who had managed to come in without drawing anyone's attention and had decided to take up a spot standing beside me. I felt the vibration of the bench as Camille scooched away. His face was stoic as he looked straight ahead even with me openly gawking at him, arms crossed over his broad chest and eyes pretending to take intrigue in what Alpha Fallon was saying.

A nudge to my feet breaks the trance I had fallen into staring at him and I sharply turn just in time to see the Alpha's eyes run over the group. They pause on me and I try to uphold the perfect mask of a model warrior who was totally paying attention.

When Alpha Fallon looks away is when I finally allow myself to breathe, realizing the foot of the person who had saved me came from my right. I peek at Beta Silver but he didn't make any show of acknowledging me.

I didn't even know the man a day and he had spared me from getting in trouble twice.

For the rest of the Alpha's address, I do my best to listen earnestly especially when he lent more information into this baiter role. I should have known a role designated for females couldn't possibly be anything good when issued by males. The Alpha was being careful not to reveal exactly what we would be doing as baiters but I got the gist.