Chapter 5

It took several precious seconds for me to process the words leaving her mouth.

A Beta's daughter? Me?

Now that just sounded ridiculous. I expected once she had really analyzed the words she had uttered she would erupt in laughter at the absurdity but she remained serious.

She quickly grew tired of me just staring at her dumbfounded so she speaks up urging a response.

"Well?!"

"I think you're tremendously mistaken. I'm no Beta's daughter, my dad's a regular pack member. A merchant at that." I tell her truthfully. I wasn't born to a high ranking family, my mom and dad were just your average Joe. I grew up in one of the four zones in Moon Crusade pack, living a perfectly normal life till the day I failed to find my mate. There was not a single thing special about me and that was okay. I liked simple.

"I see... well good on you for passing. Bye." As she spoke her eyes ran over me openly which made me squirm before she decided I wasn't worth her time and left me alone.

"Nice talking to you..." I say to no one, as she had already forgotten my existence and returned to her group of friends.

What she said however did resonate with me. I thought over my testing, remembering how I felt like I could blackout at any second, only for the feeling to vanish in an instant and my pervertish come forth.

It was strange the longer I thought about it, I would almost think Beta Silver called off his aura noticing I was going to fail but why would he do that? Plus what happened next was way too unconventional to have any involvement with the Beta.

In the end, I just dropped it because I couldn't surmise a logical explanation and it didn't seem a big deal anyway.
If anything it was the universe doing me a favour, so Vincent wouldn't deem me a disgrace to his name like he had been calling everyone who couldn't withstand it ever since.

"For today's training we will be doing a bit of pest control. Humans from the town north of the woods have been venturing further in than usual. Shift and follow me."

We were lead into the woods, two members from border patrol joining as a precautionary measure.

The two wolves kept their distance, just watching over us from the shadows as they kept guard. We were close to Moon Crusade's border which ran along the edge of the woods. Just outside the treeline was a town filled with humans. It was crucial that we kept the existence of werewolves a secret. In the one in a million chance a wolf's mate happened to be human, it was encouraged that the wolf forfeit the bond.

Cruel but necessary in a sense. We would sometimes engage with humans as it was better to keep tabs on them, staying informed of their activity and how much they knew was how we were able to keep it secret. There had been a few instances where humans had discovered about us but when they tried to tell the others, they would be deemed crazy since they refused to believe that a higher form of life other than them could possibly inhabit the earth. Quite cocky if you ask me. Those that somehow managed to get evidence proving the 'supernatural' were promptly... dealt with.

"There have been reports that a few hunters traverse this area regularly. Familiarize yourselves with the area, make sure they don't return after today." Vincent recites with an undertone of resent at something other than us for once.

Werewolves weren't a fan of humans. With them being the dominant species, outnumbering us greatly we had our lands reduced more and more. Humans were greedy, they were never satisfied and insisted on infiltrating no matter what we did to keep them away.

We knew they feared the wildlife that resided in the woods like the actual wolf animal, so we pretended to be just that in order to keep them away. It worked but overtime the especially stupid humans would return, bringing with them advancements like weapons to try and even the field with us.