Chapter 7

"I won't ask again, explain yourself." The words travel up to deaf ears, the rapid thumping of my heart drowns out any and all other sounds.

I clawed and struggled to no avail, which only served to further anger the man who then flipped me over roughly so my back now felt the hard earth. Previously I lay pressed face first in the dirt as he attacked me from behind knocking me forward.

"I will kill you if you don't answer me." He declares darkly with the last straw of patience snapping. With how serious he sounded and how he seemed to barely be holding back from crushing my larynx, it was wise not to consider it an empty threat.

I cease my struggle, opening my eyes for the first time to get a proper look at the face of the person on top of me. His mouth was set in a hardline, his general expression one of distrust and his eyes held an intensity that I didn't like being on the receiving end of.

Finding a bit of clarity in the storm that was brewing in my mind, I try to form words.

Though I open my mouth to speak no words come out as the tight hold on my neck restricted my airway.

I raise my hand which his eyes immediately fixate to and tap on the hand around my neck a silent plea for him to release me or at least loosen his grip. He does the latter, keeping the hand in place but slackening his grip the tiniest bit.

"-Shower! I was coming b-back from the shower." I manage to croak out, continuously pausing to gasp for air so I didn't suffocate.

"This late?" He doesn't seem convinced if anything he grows more suspicious as his gold eyes flash threateningly.

I knew how the situation seemed. I was breaking the rules to sneak out in the middle of the night, during a period of war. It screamed malicious intentions even to me.

I needed to find a way to prove my innocence and fast before he decided to stop wasting his time and just cut his loses. The fact that he was even allowing me a chance to explain myself was merciful.

My eyes frantically search for the bag I was carrying, having dropped it when I fell to the ground. Spying it a few feet away, I point his attention to it.

"M-my bag... you can check m-my bag!" He watches my face carefully before using his leg to kick the bag over to us, securely maintaining his hold on me.

He utilizes his free hand, to unzip and rummage through its contents, effectively taking his eyes off me.

Taking advantage of the distraction I try to see if I could somehow break free of the hand caging my neck but freeze when a single claw shot out, resting dangerously against my flesh.

He made his point very clear, one wrong move and that very claw would slice open my throat. It already felt like it would break skin just by touching the surface.

Irritation filters through my mind when I see him flip the bag over and spill everything out on the ground, to properly analyze.

My recently washed clothes, still wet were made a mess of as the articles of clothing made contact with the dirt.

"Going out alone at this hour to shower, risky don't you think?" His voice came out more relaxed after sifting through my stuff.

He retracts his hand from my body and backs up a few paces giving me some much needed breathing room. The effects of his aura dissipated and the ability to call forth my wolf if I still wanted to returned.

I pick myself up into a sitting position, passing my hand along my face to dust it. I remained on the ground since he hadn't technically given the greenlight for me to move. It would also help plead my case to keep a submissive position. I bowed my head, not meeting the Beta's eyes for longer than a second as it could be misread as sign that I was posing a challenge to his authority. The last thing I needed right now. Maybe if I could fully convince him that although I was breaking the curfew, I wasn't really doing anything that bad.