CHAPTER 2

|The Batcave
|January 1 2016, 22:26

"Nightwing B-0-1."

Nightwing was the last to join the others in The Batcave. Batman, Batgirl, and Robin were already waiting for him to arrive, with news they insisted he had to hear in person.

"What?" Nightwing knew the moment he joined them and saw their faces that this wasn't good news.

Batman gestured to The Batcomputer chair, telling him to, "Sit down."

His heart sank.

This was very bad news.

"What?" Nightwing asked again as he reluctantly sat down. "What happened?" He looked at Batgirl, who was the source of this information.

Batgirl took a deep breath before cutting straight to the chase and directly answering, "Katherine's alive, Dick. She's not dead."

Nightwing was glad he was sitting down when that processed.

He felt himself gasp a little, his eyes immediately shifting to the case that held Jason's uniform.

"Are...are you sure?" He managed to ask, unable to let himself believe it, incase it wasn't true.

It'd been 1 year and 9 months since he last saw her at that motel. She'd went after Jason, and it was thought she died with him in the same explosion that took out Amusement Mile.

Jason's autopsy revealed he wouldn't of been able to escape without help, and in her condition, Katherine wouldn't of been able to help him.

She stayed with him until the end.

Her cowl was all that was left of her by the time Batman, Superman, and the rest of The League responded to the emergency alert she'd sent out.

By then it was too late.

Jason died.

She had died.

"No." Nightwing stood up, shaking his head in denial. "No...no, she died...she- YOU TOLD ME SHE DIED!" He yelled, flinching when Batman put a hand on his shoulder, pushing him back down into the chair.

"Bruce-" Nightwing's voice cracked. "I thought I'd...I thought we lost her."

"All we found in the wreckage was her cowl, yes." Batman confirmed, arguing, "We didn't find her body."

"We didn't need to!" Nightwing looked at him, hurt, "You...you said-"

"I know what I said." Batman looked over to the case with Jason's uniform, Katherine's equally bloody cowl at his boots. "Evidence backs up what I said. Katherine was there with him, and The Joker got her too, but.."

"But she did leave him." Batgirl finished. She frowned at Nightwing. "I'm sorry, Dick. I saw her earlier. It was her. She's alive."

Nightwing weakly laughed, burying his head in his hands.

It seemed impossible that she did survive that explosion. He didn't know how she survived, if she was with Jason until the end, but if she did, he knew exactly why she hadn't made them aware she was alive.

Everyone else knew it too.

"The Justice League and The Team have both been made aware." Batman confirmed, "Katherine Kyle is feral, extremely dangerous, and not to be approached unless absolutely necessary."

Nightwing closed his eyes tightly, his weak laughter gravitating towards crying as it really sunk in.

For Katherine, living feral was a fate far worse than death.

A fate he could've prevented.

Word Count: 522

A/N: Welcome back to Ch2! This hasn't got absolutely anything to do with this series, but if you follow me and you saw my bio you'll see I'm working on a Marauders series (Harry Potter) and I know a lot of the DC fandom are either in the Percy Jackson or/and Harry Potter fandom, so I thought I'd let you all know I have a Marauders series on the way! Anyway THIS book; how we feeling about Dick? I'm interested to know how everyone feels about him after book 2, so let me know!