CHAPTER 28

|Gotham City
|March 26 2016, 01:11

The faint sound of a monitor beeping woke Felix. He wasn't sure how long he was asleep for, but it felt like a while. Had it not been for the irritating beeping next to him, he would've happily drifted back off. The beep was there though.

"Shut up...", he groaned, turning over to try and hit the source of the noise. He hit something, but not the monitor.

Next to him, someone shifted before sitting up. "Sir?" It was Amelia. "Sir, are you awake?", she cupped his cheek to get a look at him, "Sir-?"

"Nhh.", Felix turned his head away from her. "Awake.", he groggily confirmed.

Amelia sighed in relief. "Thank goodness.", she said, before immediately scolding him, "But you're an idiot! You said- you were supposed to be warning Kaldur about your sister, not- what did you want to achieve by destroying Mount Justice?! Do you have any idea how hard it's been to keep everyone out while you've been unconscious?! Any idea how lucky you were that Nightwing brought you here instead of Belle Reve?! How lucky you were that you didn't die?!"

Felix kept his eyes closed, hoping if he pulled the sheets over his head that she'd stop yelling. He was a little more sensitive to noise than usual. His head hurt.

"Sir, I need answers, and I need them now.", Amelia yanked the sheets down.

Felix turned his back to her, murmuring, "Didn't destroy Moun' Justice."

Amelia scoffed. "I meant the truth, not what I'm telling the press to cover for you."

"Is the truth. I didn't do it. Swear.."

There was a silence as Amelia considered he may be telling the truth. She ended up concluding, "Nightwing was telling the truth; you did get the worst of that blast."

Felix groaned, forcing himself to sit up and open his eyes. He struggled to focus on Amelia, but from what he could see, she really couldn't picture him doing anything but destroying Mount Justice with everyone still inside it.

Really, why would he expect her to think any different?

That's what villains did.

"Sir..", Amelia gently took his hand, "You're healing well, but you don't heal like your sister does. You need to rest. Take it easy. Your body can't keep up with what you've been doing lately."

Felix numbly stared at her hand. He'd heard that said before, about his sister, when she was involved with the heroes. He was pretty sure that he himself had lectured her on the fact they weren't made to be the good guys; Bastet designed them to be the opposite.

Surely he knew better than to repeat his little sister's mistakes.

"We need to find her.", He decided to change the subject while he could, "Katherine. Nobody knows anything about her being missing, forget her hunting them. I don't think she's hunting anyone at all, meaning she could be anywhere, with anyone, doing anything."

"Sir-", Amelia took a breath, "Sir, your sister's...she's your sister, yes, but you have bigger problems right now. Mount Justice-"

"Isn't going to cause problems for anyone ever again.", he harshly cut her off, "Kaldur destroyed it. It's gone. So are some of the younger heroes. They got taken by Kaldur's team and handed over to those Light traffickers."

"You saw the traffickers?"

"No, because I tried to save the kids and ended up getting left with Nightwing and Superboy to blow up with Mount- didn't Nightwing tell you all that already?"

Amelia's eyes widened in shock and she slowly shook her head, "He didn't tell me you did that, sir..."

For some reason, this didn't seem to be a good surprise.

Felix stared at her, confused, "Isn't that a good thing I did? Wasn't that the whole point of us working with the heroes to try and stop the trafficking?"

"We were never meant to become them." Amelia now looked at him with concern, "Sir, you're supposed to be a villain."

"I am."

"No.", Amelia shook her head again, "You changed. You're not the same as you were when I met you. You're-"

"I draw the line at trafficking, ok?!", Felix yelled, not sure he physically could talk about this anymore. He changed the subject back to, "Katherine." He believed, "If we forget about The Light and Justice League for a moment and go back to tracking down Katherine, everything will go back to normal. Ra's will get me back on The Light's payroll, and Nightwing will find a way to get Batman and his buddies off my ass- provided that both parties believe I still have Katherine. It won't be long before they grow suspicious of the fact that I don't."

Word Count: 824

A/N: My health is still a joke but I'm still writing and updating this book. It'll just take a little longer for me to update than usual. Thanks for your patience with me so far! <3