CHAPTER 11

|Gotham City
|January 13 2016, 04:32

Katherine knocked on the door of a standard run-down building in The Narrows. It didn't look like a hospital at all, so Felix pulled his gun out.

"No weapons.", Katherine glanced back at him, "No violence rule."

"It's us.", Felix gestured the pair of them, "Guns and violence is our thing."

"Not here.", Katherine said, motioning for him to put the gun away. "Everyone follows Leslie's rules. Heroes, villains, everyone in between."

Felix slowly lowered his gun. The name rung a bell, "Leslie...Thompkins."

As he said that, Leslie opened the door of the free clinic, her eyes glazing when she saw Katherine.

"Hiya, Leslie.", Katherine weakly smiled, "Think I missed a couple appointments?"

Leslie pulled Katherine in for a hug.

"Wait-!", Felix started to warn, but Katherine didn't attack Leslie's she hugged her back. "You're...how..?!"

Leslie broke up the hug and stared at Felix warily.

"He's with me.", Katherine said, slipping past Leslie to go inside.

"So I've heard..", Leslie remained wary of Felix, but moved aside to allow the now known supervillain into her safe clinic.

**********

Katherine sat on the familiar bed in Leslie's office. She'd glance over at Felix guarding the doorway every now and then, as Leslie collected what she'd need to patch up a broken hand.

"So your healing hasn't come back?", Leslie came over to Katherine once she'd got what she needed. "I understood your powers would return to you after you.."

"Died. Yeah." Katherine was numb when it came to her own death that night at Amusement Mile, "Everything reset when I died."

"She just doesn't heal if she purposely hurts herself.", Felix filled in, not taking his eyes off the front door at the end of the hall. "How absolute are these clinic rules anyway, doc?", he wondered.

Leslie gave Katherine a look.

"Nobody breaks them, not even us.", Katherine more or less just repeated what she'd told him earlier, "Heroes, villains, everyone-"

Felix argued, "I highly doubt Batman gives a shit about an old lady's rules when his two most wanted are trapped and unarmed."

Katherine rolled her eyes, "Then go on, and piss off outside, Felix. If I hear a bang I'll know Bruce's found us."

Felix spun around to look between Katherine and Leslie. "She knows?!"

"Heroes don't go to hospitals, but sometimes the hospitals go to them.", Leslie replied, confirming, "Batman didn't always have Justice League resources to keep him alive after bad nights."

"So you knew his identity...and you didn't..?", Felix struggled to believe a civilian could keep a secret like that.

"I'm a doctor.", Leslie motioned towards her certificates on the wall by her desk, "Like any decent doctor would, I uphold confidentiality with all my patients, masked or not."

"Wow...", Felix discovered a newfound respect for Leslie, "Don't get many decent doctors like that."

"Which is why we're here.", Katherine said like it was obvious- which it was, now Felix better understood Dr. Leslie Thompkins;