CHAPTER 6

|Mount Justice
|January 8 2016, 16:39

Nightwing watched his footage from Malina Island back for what must've been the 1000th time.

Batman had forbid him from getting involved with the effort to stop Catgirl, but Nightwing hadn't worked under Batman for a while now.

And if anyone could save Catgirl, it was Nightwing...even if she already hated him for trying to do just that.

Her attacks against him on Malina Island proved that.

She wanted him dead.

The squeak of a familiar boot behind Nightwing made him quickly back out of the footage he was watching.

"Shouldn't you be training, Robin?"

Robin was silent for a moment, not sure how to respond after he was caught trying to sneak up on his predecessor. He eventually cleared his throat and explained, "Batman's busy looking for...he's doing the same as you, but you shouldn't be doing it. You were banned from the case for a reason, Dick."

"It's personal for everyone.", Nightwing muttered, keeping his back to Robin.

"It's more personal for you than anyone...", Robin started to argue, trailing off before coming closer to the computer. "You found anything yet?", He asked, "That was bodycam footage from the Malina Island mission, right?"

Nightwing sighed, knowing Robin wasn't the type to drop something. If he didn't show him the footage, Robin would get it himself later.

"I'll restart it.", Nightwing said, doing just that. He moved his chair aside a little to allow Robin to see the whole screen.

The first few seconds of the footage Nightwing stood still, frozen in shock from actually seeing Catgirl.

Catgirl was fighting Robin.

That was what snapped Nightwing out of the shock- what possessed him to charge at Catgirl and tackle her, sending the both of them off the platform she was fighting Robin on.

Nightwing took the impact of the fall, knowing it would hurt him much less than it did her.

This was when Aqualad appeared.

Like Catgirl, he seemed to be working with The Light on the opposing side of the mission.

Robin watched as Nightwing's expression hardened. He could tell it was difficult for him, watching not one but two of the people he was closest to turn to the dark side.

Aqualad helped Catgirl and almost immediately the pair teamed up against Nightwing, both of them attacking him.

"It's ok, Dick.", Robin attempted to comfort, "We'll save her."

Nightwing kept watching the footage, Catgirl's attacks getting more and more vicious as his pleads for her to stop only made her want to kill him that much more.

"Do you think she can be saved?" Nightwing glanced to the side of him where Robin was.

Robin looked down at him, frowning. "Well, I never really got to know her...and Bruce doesn't think she can be saved, but you do, right?"

Nightwing's gaze returned to the screen as Catgirl grunted, Calico having shot her with a tranquilliser.

"Doesn't matter.", Nightwing answered Robin's question, "Even if she can be saved, she's with her brother, Calico. He won't let anyone take her from him."

"So what?" Robin shook his head, watching the footage cut off after Nightwing was forced to hand an unconscious Catgirl to Calico, Aqualad not backing down from the fight. "That doesn't mean we can't take her back. Surely she doesn't want any of this. She's a hero."

"Surely." Nightwing managed a small smile for Robin, if only out of pity for his naivety. "When the time is right, we'll get her back, Tim."

Word Count: 587

A/N: Sorry this chapter is late, I completely forgot to post it. Thank you for your patience!