Chapter 2 - One Step At A Time

Beep...beep...beep

Adrien pressed the snooze button on the alarm clock next to his bed and shut off the alarm. A few seconds later, he sat up and stretched out his arms. Something didn't feel right. When he opened his eyes, he felt his heart skip a few beats. Where am I? he thought to himself as he clutched the blankets in front of him and slowly looked around the room. Marinette's room? Why am I in Marinette's room?

He got out of the bed and turned on the lights. His room had such a big window for the sunlight to shine through that he rarely needed to turn on the lights. The sudden change from dark to light blinded him for a few seconds.

When he got his vision back, he glanced at his hand, which was still resting on the light switch. Marinette's hand? From there, he looked down at the rest of his body. In a state of panic, he searched for a mirror. He found one on Marinette's desk and stared into it for a full minute, frozen with fear.

This doesn't make any sense, he concluded. None of this makes any sense. Why am I here? How did I get here?

A vaguely familiar voice snapped Adrien out of his fearful trance.

"Marinette, are you alright? You look very pale."

"Tikki?" Adrien said, looking at the small floating creature with disbelief. His shock quickly turned into concern. "Why are you here? Is Ladybug alright?"

Tikki hesitated before speaking. What is Marinette talking about? she thought. Why am I here? Is Ladybug alright? You should know the answers better than anyone. Still confused, Tikki said, "you're here because this is your bedroom and you just woke up, Marinette. And honestly, Ladybug doesn't seem alright. Can you tell me what's going on?"

"Tikki, it's me, Adrien. You know, Chat Noir? I'm in Marinette's body for some reason. I need to find Plagg to transform and help Ladybug. What's wrong? What can I do?"

This has never happened before, Tikki thought. Did Ladybug and Chat Noir switch bodies? This person that looks identical to Marinette isn't Marinette. I can tell. Yes, somehow, the two heroes switched bodies.

"There must be an issue with the miraculous," Tikki announced to Adrien. "Somehow, Ladybug and Chat Noir managed to switch bodies."

"Wait a minute," Adrien said before Tikki could continue. "Does this mean Marinette is Ladybug?! Is she in my body right now?!" Adrien couldn't help from blushing. He had never felt so flustered. Marinette is...Ladybug?

His mind began to race with thoughts of him and Marinette. He thought about the time they danced in the moonlight of New York. The time she fell asleep on his shoulder on the Star train. The time he handed her an umbrella on the first day of school and she became his friend. The time she offered the same umbrella back to him after leaving the swimming pool. Oh my gosh, he thought. I can't believe it. This is amazing! Marinette is so awesome, I can't believe she's my lady!

He then began to think of the time he's spent with Ladybug. Ladybug helped him to become a better version of himself. She broke down the wall he had built after his mom died. She brought out the true Adrien, the person he has always wanted to be. He could be himself with her and never regret it. Their friendship was the best thing to ever happen to Adrien. It's us against the world. It's me and Marinette against the world.

"Wow," Adrien said with awe. "Marinette and Ladybug aren't all that different. I was just too blind to see it before. I was too blinded by my love for Ladybug to even think that I may love Marinette. Marinette is always by my side and always fighting for me, just like Ladybug. They're both so kind and brave, and they both accept the real Adrien! Do you think she feels the same? Will she see the Adrien in Chat Noir like I now see the Marinette in Ladybug? I can't believe it! This is great! Well, it's weird, but hey, this is a great opportunity! It's-"