Chapter 11 - Despair

~~Flashback to Marinette's conversation with Gabriel~~

Marinette followed Gabriel into his study. His expression was stern. "There's something I've been wanting to tell you for a long time," he began, "and now I have great reason to reveal my secret."

Marinette stared at him blankly. She began to feel sick to her stomach. She's not Adrien. She shouldn't be having a personal conversation with his father. Although, her gut was telling her to play along.

"What do you mean, exactly?"

Gabriel turned to face her and held out his hand. "Give me your phone," he demanded.

Marinette was no less confused, but she handed over the phone. Once the phone was in his grasp, the realization hit her.

The texts.

He must know something about those texts. If Gabriel found the messages she was sending Adrien, he would figure out their secret identities!

Marinette snatched the phone out of Gabriel's hands as fast as she could. "I need this," she said, unable to think of an excuse.

"Oh? Well, you must need it for something important to rip it out of your father's hands like that. Tell me, why did you do that?" Marinette could feel his anger rising.

"Oh, well, uh...I just...I forgot..."

"Stop it, Adrien. I just have to check something real quick. I need to clarify something. It won't take long. Stop acting so nervous."

He took the phone back out of her hands. Marinette couldn't stop him. She hoped with all her heart that he would not read her messages to Adrien from last night. She scolded herself for not deleting them. I'm such an idiot! she shouted in her head.

Gabriel grinned. "I knew it," he said, giving her a sly smile. Her heart practically stopped.

"Knew what?" she asked, petrified.

"You haven't been acting like yourself. Explain these messages to your friend Marinette in further detail."

Gabriel put the phone in Marinette's face. It was hard not to panic.

"Oh, that, well...we were...roleplaying! Yes, that's it. We were roleplaying as each other!"

"Uh-huh," Gabriel said, unsatisfied. "How would Marinette know I wanted to talk to you? Did you tell her about that?"

"Oh, you see-"

"And what's this talk about Ladybug and Chat Noir being out of tune?" Gabriel interrupted. "Ladybug and Chat Noir needed to switch bodies? You and Marinette are acting as if you've switched bodies? Tell me the truth. What's going on?"

"We were roleplaying while also working on a Ladybug and Chat Noir fanfiction! That's all!"

"You're not a very good lair."

"I'm not lying!"

"Alright, fine. Let's say you're not lying. Then explain this to me. Why did your ring, which looks quite similar to Chat Noir's I might add, suddenly disappear when those earrings appeared?" He pointed to her earrings. "They look a lot like Ladybug's, don't you think?"

"Y-Yeah, I know. I'm a big fan of Ladybug!" Marinette said in an attempt to explain herself. She was worried she would pass out from her fear. "I haven't been able to find my ring for a little while, and it doesn't look like Chat Noir's at all! His ring is black and mine is silver! You have a wild imagination."

"I'm not buying your lies! I can tell you're not my son!" Gabriel shouted with frustration.

"I'm not lying! You have to believe me!"