The Night After

"Shinobu?"

Hearing her name, Shinobu turned around to face you with a smile. 

"(y/n), what are you doing here?"

You took a second, trying to catch your breath before you could speak. As soon as you had heard from your brother about what happened, you had run to the Butterfly Estate. You needed to be there for Shinobu just like she had been there for you for so long. 

"I heard about what happened. I'm so sorry, Shinobu."

She turned her back to you, facing the drawing of her sister once again. You made your way over to stand besides her, placing the flowers you had bought on the way over besides the frame. 

"She's gone and I couldn't do anything to save her"

You hear her say after a few minutes of silence. 

"Shinobu, there was nothing you could've done. She fought an upper moon."

"And I'm going to finish the fight one day. I'm going to avenge her death."

Turning to face her, you pulled her into a hug. She tried to push you away but gave up when you refused to let her go. She wrapped her arms around you and let her tears flow. You held her tightly, whispering words of comfort while you ran your fingers through her hair. 

"I'm going to help you, Shinobu. I'm not letting you do this alone."

Shinobu ended up crying herself to sleep. You carried her to her room and laid her down on the bed. When you're sure that she's asleep, you let your tears fall. Kanae was like your older sister and it killed you that she was now gone. You weren't sure how you manage to make it without crying as you comforted Shinobu. All that mattered was that you would be strong enough to support Shinobu emotionally. 

X

You're woken up to find Shinobu already awake. She gave you a bright smile when the two of you locked eyes. 

"Ah, you're awake! I hope you're hungry. I'll make you breakfast in a second."

"It's okay. Let me make breakfast for you."

She shakes her head and points to her bed. 

"Get some sleep. I can't imagine sleeping on the chair was too comfortable. I'll wake you up when breakfast is ready."

Before you could protest, she had already walked out. You were worried about the way she was acting. Shinobu always kept her emotions hidden but not like this. Not to the point where she hid her grief and acted like nothing had happened in the past 2 days. 

You quickly washed up and headed to the kitchen to find Shinobu arguing with Kanao about eating. Knowing things could get ugly, you stepped in. Shinobu didn't argue as you pulled her outside. 

"What happened?"

"She's refusing to eat. She flipped her coin and I assume it landed on the side where she wouldn't eat."

"You shouldn't push her, Shinobu. She..."

"She can't keep depending on the coin! Kanae is gone! I..I can't..." Her smile falls as she starts to cry. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do!"

You wrapped your arms around her, pulling her close to you. She didn't fight it this time, letting you hold her as she cried. 

"I can move in. I can help you take care of the estate and the girls. You don't have to do this alone, Shinobu. I'm your friend."

It takes her a minute to calm down before she broke the hug. 

"You don't have to do that. I don't want to burden you."

"Burden me? Why would this be a burden? I love you and all the girls. We've all been friends for years and I care about all of you. Let me help you."

Shinobu leans over to look inside the kitchen, finding that everyone had piled in. She had to be strong for the girls of the estate. But for the moment, it's okay if she had you to help her. 

"Will you help me with breakfast?"

"I'll be glad to."