Questions

Shinobu knew it was wrong to take advantage of the fact that you had a crush on her. She just enjoyed watching your cheeks heat up when she kissed them or how you stuttered when her touch lingered. Spending time with you made her forget about everything that was going on with the world. The two of you were training but it didn't actually feel like training with how often you were sidetracked by the flirting and talking that happened. Shinobu came to look forward to them and it pained her when she had to be away. 

"I'll be back in a few days, (y/n). In the meantime, I instructed Kanao to continue your training. I made sure that she'll go easier on you so you don't get kicked in the head."

"Hey! That was one time! I've gotten better."

She laughs at the glare that you give her. One of her favorite things was to tease you. Your reactions always made her laugh. 

"I know, love." She bit back a smile when your cheeks turned a shade of red. "I'd still like to see you in one piece when I return, alright?"

"Alright. Please be careful, Shinobu."

"I'm always careful." She kisses your cheek, making you freeze on the spot. "Try not to get into any trouble."

She whispered to you before saying goodbye to the others. 

X

You hated when Shinobu had to leave for a mission. You were never sure when she returned and it often made you worry when she often went on long missions, especially if Kanao didn't tag along. It was rare for Kanao to stay behind and you weren't sure why she had stayed behind this time. 

"So why didn't you go with Shinobu?"

You ask one night during your training sessions. 

"Master asked me to stay behind."

You nod, focusing on attempting to make a strike. You fail as she moves back, making you swing at the air. 

"And why did she ask you to stay behind."

"I did not ask and she did not offer an explanation."

You couldn't be mad at the girl. She was never one to pry when it came to Shinobu. If Shinobu gave her an order, Kanao did it without a question. 

"Of course, she wouldn't. Lately, I feel like she's hiding something. She's been going on more missions without you. I often wonder if she actually goes on said missions." You sigh as you lower your sword. You grab the two cups of water and hand one to Kanao. "Just forget it, I go crazy when we don't hear from her."

 You tell her as she drinks her water. 

"You care a lot about Master."

Kanao tells you after she sets her cup down. You nearly spit out your drink when you hear her statement. You thankfully managed to get it down without spilling anything. 

"I...I care a lot about Shinobu. We're childhood friends. We've known each other for years."

Kanao stared at you for the longest time, making you feel like she knew your secret. If you could even call it a secret, considering that Shinobu possibly knew with how often you stuttered and blushed. 

"You make Master happy. She isn't as angry when you're around."

You're shocked that Kanao knew what Shinobu was hiding. You thought Kanao hadn't noticed the change in Shinobu because she hadn't mentioned it. 

"She isn't angry when you and the rest of the butterfly girls are around."

Kanao doesn't say anything, just holds up her wooden sword and prepares for an attack. You take the hint and hold up yours. For the rest of the morning, the two of you spar with one another until it's time for breakfast.