Return

You didn't return back to the Butterfly Estate or back home with your brothers. You were still shaken up about what you had witnessed in the Final Selection and you worried that they would deem you unfit for the job. After all the training that they had given you, you refused to let them see you be weak. 

Knowing that they would be worried about you, you sent word to Shinobu and Kyojuro about your success. You didn't go too much into detail about what happened. All you told them was that you had completed the trial with minor injuries. On Shinobu's letter, you added that you would be heading back to your place for a couple of days before returning back to the Butterfly estate. On your brother's letter, you told him that you would be coming home.

Once the letters were finished, you instructed (crow's name) to deliver them. Exhaustion had finally creeped up on you so you headed to bed after sending your crow off. 

X

Morning comes quickly and you don't want to get out of bed. You were exhausted and yet you hadn't been able to sleep. The images of the mangled body on the demon's mouth kept appearing followed by the screams that you couldn't seem to get out of your mind. It was horrifying. You couldn't understand how your brothers and the others were fine despite being witness to the horrors of what the demons caused. 

Reluctantly, you get out of bed. Laying down and thinking back to the final night of Final Selection wasn't going to be of any help. You hoped that Kyojuro would be home to help you calm your mind. 

X

"(y/n)!"

You open your arms just as Senjuro comes running into them. 

"Is it just me or did you just grow taller?"

You ask him when he pulls back. 

"I grew taller! Kyojuro said that it won't be long before I catch up to the two of you."

You laugh as you rub his head to mess up his hair. 

"Maybe but for now, you're still smaller than us. Is Kyojuro here?"

He shakes his head as the two of you walk back to the estate. 

"He had been home up until last night. He received word of a mission and had to go. Brother wanted to stay until he could at least see you for a couple of minutes but it was urgent. He did say that he was proud of you for passing the trial."

You sighed sadly, wishing you had come home straight away. It had been a while since you've last seen your older brother. 

"Well that's quite alright. I'm sure I can catch him another time. How is father?"

"H...he's fine...." He trails off before turning around to face you with an excited grin. "Do you think we could go to the noodle shop? Kyojuro promised to take me when you came home but since he's not here, maybe you can take me?"

You narrowed your eyes at him, not believing that Kyojuro would say that. Your brothers would use any excuse to go to the noodle shop in town. 

"I have the feeling that the two of you already went without me?"

He gives you a guilty expression making you laugh. 

"Alright. We can go. Let me put my things in my room and then we can head out."

"Woo!" 

He runs off to his room to get ready for a trip to town.  

X

 When you walk into your room, you spot a folded letter on your desk with your name on it. 

Dear sister,