The Love Hashira

Dear sister,

Tell her! There's no time like the present! I've never heard you talk about someone like this. I might not be an expert at love like Kanroji but this sounds to me like you're in love. If she turns you down, Senjurou and I will be waiting for you at the estate to cheer you up! I'm not saying it'll happen but I am saying that we'll be here for you. If you have any other doubts, I suggest you pay a visit to Kanroji to advice. She's an expert at love and I'm sure she could help. I'll let her know that you might pay her a visit! Maybe you can come visit us after, we miss you! 

Please take care,

Kyojuro

You grabbed the pillow, screaming at the top of your lungs at the terrible advice that your brother gave you. His first words had built you some courage but it was destroyed by what was followed after. You should've known your brother wouldn't be of any help. The only good advice he gave you was visiting Kanroji for help. You had previously met the Hashira but never talked for more than a minute as your brother worked her to the bone for her training. A time like this made you wish you had made some effort to befriend the other girl. 

There's a knock at your door, startling you. It was late in the night so you weren't expecting for anyone to still be up. The only reason why you were even awake was because you didn't know how to process Kyojuro's letter. 

"Everything okay in there?"

You hear Shinobu from the other side. You remain still, holding in your breath to avoid making any further noise. The last thing you needed was for the woman you were in love with to be asking questions. 

You think you're in the clear when you don't hear anything else. Just as you were about to continue with what you were doing, the doorknob turns. You don't bother to hide the letter as you lay down and cover yourself with the blanket. 

X

Shinobu stared at the doorknob for the longest time while she debated with herself about what to do. She could've sworn she had heard some screaming come from your room.

 Before you had moved in, the two of you used to have sleepovers. During these sleepovers, she learned that you would get nightmares. You never told her what they were about what she always held you until you fell asleep. Shinobu had never hesitate to comfort you until now. 

She could flirt and tease you but she always kept you at a distance. If she kept you at a distance then her feelings wouldn't progress. She could eventually forget about them so she could focus on her goal. 

She's snapped out of her thoughts when she hears movement from your room. Deciding to later deal with the consequences of her actions, Shinobu heads inside. 

X

Your thought she was only going to check on you and then head out but she came inside. You could hear her footsteps coming closer until she stopped right in front of you. You were glad for the lack of light or else she would've notice the blush on your cheeks from the fact that you knew she was looking down at you. 

You don't expect to feel her hands on your cheek and you nearly cry out from surprise. You had to bite your tongue to not give yourself away. 

"If only things were different."

You hear her whisper as she caresses your cheek. It lasts for a few more seconds and then she's gone. As the door is closed, you open your eyes. You couldn't believe that had just happened. You would've been happy about what had just happened if she hadn't said anything. Her words didn't make any sense. You couldn't understand what she meant. This is exactly what you needed to make the trip to Kanroji's estate.