Chapter 4 - Black and White

It took more than just a good breakfast, but once Roman began to drop his guard just a bit around Patton, he realized the other man was a good distraction. He was very kind and had a marvelous sense of humor. He continuously made puns about anything he could, and Roman started to feel less defensive about being there. For a few moments, he even forgot he was captive, and instead imagined that Patton was someone he had met on his travels. For a few moments, he could act like everything was perfect and Roman was playing his role as dignitary and protector.

At least, until reality came crashing back in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I figured if I was breaking a curse for your kingdom, you might be interested in assisting and taking care of some of the chores that I won't be able to do." Janus was standing in the doorway, one eye bright yellow and slitted like his dragon form, the other completely human. Roman wasn't sure what was more unnerving, his full dragon form, or this half-human half-dragon visage. One could easily destroy him with a single claw, but this form spoke of power in a different way. It was frustrating to feel cornered and unable to fight back.

"Like I have much of a choice." His words were the only thing he still had that might hurt even a bit, though he doubted a dragon cared much about his sass.

True to that thought, Janus just raised an eyebrow, his lip twisting into a smirk.

"Thank you, Patton, for your lovely companionship." Roman refused to give Janus the satisfaction of further comments.

"It was nothing Kiddo, I'm glad I could help."

"Still not your kid."

"Everyone's my kiddo."

That wasn't a fight he was going to win, and honestly, he wasn't sure that he wanted to fight it. The friendly demeanor was nice, and it gave him something to look forward to.

"You realize he is much, much older than you?" Janus wasn't even looking at him and yet Roman could hear the amusement in his voice.

"What do you mean? I'm sure he is older but not that much older." He put every ounce of condescension in his voice. Not for Patton, obviously not, but because he didn't like being a toy for some dragon.

"Patton is a few hundred years old."

"What?! But Humans can't live that long."

"No, but mages can."

"Mages?" Roman had heard a little about mages in his studies but magic wasn't something that was practiced among a lot of people, there was a fear that people who attempted to practice magic would be consumed by it and forced to hurt those they loved. The only person Roman knew who even dabbled in magic was Logan, and that was always in secret and with Roman's supervision. He didn't know a lot of spells, but he knew enough to help aid in their research on curses.

"Mages are humans that specialize in magic." He knew that much, he wasn't dumb. "There are different classes and often how you choose to study determines your class. Patton is a forest witch and a rather powerful one at that, because of that, the forest helps keep him alive, and in turn, he protects everything that lives in the forest. Though, he has struggled a bit with the spiders there." There was a soft fondness to the way Janus spoke about Patton, and if Roman wasn't so keyed up, he might have noticed it.

"Great, so I'm surrounded by a bunch of beings stronger than me that could easily kill me. That's fantastic."

"Yes, well, you are a part of my hoard now. I'm not going to let you get hurt so easily. Besides, I'm really the only thing you need to worry about. Patton is too soft for his own good sometimes. Then again, his hoard is impressive in his own right."

"Mages can have hoards?"

"I guess hoard isn't the right word for it... more like a collection." Janus frowned slightly, and Roman took the slightest bit of satisfaction in Janus' struggle to explain. "Have you ever met someone who is so charismatic that they end up collecting followers but on accident?"

"Not really, but I understand the concept."

"Patton is like that." Was that supposed to make him feel better?

"Alright, and what about the changeling?"

"Changeling? Do you mean Remus?"

"Sure, if that's what you want to call him."

"Remus isn't a changeling, he's actually the only thing here that's as human as you are. Also a dumbass." Again, those words were spoken with more fondness than Roman would have ever believed was possible of a dragon. He also wasn't willing to dwell on or think about that thought right now. He just wanted to be mad and frustrated.

"I doubt that, the resemblance is too striking, and I don't have a twin. I would know if I did."

"Would you? You implied that twins are a bit of a bad thing in your culture, in a superstitious way. Is it really hard to believe that your parents would abandon one of their own to protect their station and power?"

"No... yes..." Would his parents have abandoned his brother rather than face the consequences of having a twin? He knew his father wouldn't, but what about his mother? She was so extremely superstitious, Roman had grown up with so many rules based on folklore. "Look, don't try to confuse me on what my family would or wouldn't do. I know my family."

"Do you?" He turned to look at Roman, staring him in the eyes. It was a statement, clear as day. 'Are you sure the world is as black and white as you see it?'

Roman wasn't willing to answer that. Dragons might still be alive, but they were evil and conniving, he could see that clear as day. It didn't matter if Janus obviously had love in his heart for the kind-hearted mage, and yet also cared about the chaotic changeling. Dragons were evil and only served their own purpose.

That was it, black and white.

"What was it that you needed my help on."

"Oh yes, of course. I'm going to show you where the stream is, then I need you to stir up the silt and take about enough water and silt to fill 2 vials."

"Why silt?"

"It's a very important ingredient in the spell."

AN: Sorry it's so late in the day y'all, traveling for the holidays really threw a wrench in my routine.