Chapter 12 - Unexpected Acceptance

It was well after lunch by the time Roman came back to his room. This had almost become normal, but Logan couldn't help but be concerned. He and Remus had been getting along well but that didn't mean he trusted Remus with the Prince's safety. It wasn't necessarily Logan's job to look out for Roman, but no one else would. Sure Roman had had a personal guard but they had all been so easily swayed by his charm and none of them seemed to want to go against him when Roman said he was comfortable being alone. They didn't know Roman like Logan did, so the urge to protect was strong. When Roman finally returned to his bedroom, Logan relaxed, still holding himself tall and proper, but a small smile fell on his lips.

"Roman, welcome back." It had been a struggle to drop the formalities, but it was what Roman wanted. Still, Logan couldn't be fully forthcoming, there was a lingering question in the pitch of his voice that he dared not speak, instead, it quietly hung in the air.

"I'm sorry Logan, I hope you weren't waiting long." Roman gave him a weak smile, opening up the bedroom door and immediately taking off his shirt. Logan wasn't sure if Roman hadn't answered the question because he didn't notice it, very possible and very common, or if he was avoiding it, also possible and common.

"That grem-" Roman stopped himself, letting out an exaggerated sigh, "Remus... has decided it is his personal mission to show me every activity he perceives as fun." Despite his words, Roman was smiling.

"Honestly though, how does one think mud sledding is fun? Could this have not also been achieved in a way that didn't cover me head to toe in dirt? I have certain standards to uphold when it comes to my appearance. It doesn't help that Remus also wanted to instruct me on the ways of mud fighting. How is one so excessively chaotic?"

Now that Logan was really looking at him, he was covered in a large quantity of dirt, some of it even getting into his hair.

"I am going to have to spend an hour in the bath just trying to get myself clean, though... that's not really a bad thing, is it?"

"Did you abhor it that much? Should I try to tell Remus not to do something like that again?"

Roman paused and when he did speak his voice was soft and quiet. "No, no, don't stop him it was... it was actually rather enjoyable. Don't tell him that mind you, but... I guess there was a freedom to it. Mother would have never let me do something like that, and the wind whipping through my hair was amazing. It was like riding a horse except I had given up all control. Not to mention the mud fight was good exercise, there was a lot of dodging and weaving I needed to do."

Logan watched as Roman's shoulders loosened, as his voice gained a joy Logan had never seen in him before. It made his own worries loosen as well. Roman had been struggling while here. He hid it well behind his duty to complete certain tasks, but now that he was being given freedom, in at least one form, Logan was seeing a side to his best friend he had only ever glimpsed before.

"I'm not sure it's something you would enjoy, the sledding part, but Remus was also talking about the different creatures that live on that part of the mountain, and I think you might enjoy that." Roman hesitated, holding all of the things he was going to need for his bath.

"I can see why you enjoy his company." There was a deep sincerity to Roman's words, a question answered that Logan had been afraid to ask for far too long.

As Roman walked passed, Logan had no words. That wasn't the only reason he liked Remus but it was astounding that he would ever receive Roman's approval. Logan had been ready to completely hide his feelings for the other man, content to study alongside him and never take a step forward out of respect for Roman. This, however, felt like permission, like Roman's own quiet way of saying that, although he didn't understand Logan's infatuation, he was okay with it.

The moment Roman was out of eye sight, Logan turned and marched his way towards Remus's room. It wasn't very far, but it felt like an eternity before he slammed open the door.

"Lo-" Remus was cut off as Logan walked over with a purpose, taking Remus' face in his hands before kissing it. He held the kiss for a few moments before his mind seemed to catch up with him and he pulled away.

"I'm so sorry Remus, I should have asked, but I got-"

It was Logan's turn to be surprisingly cut off as Remus pulled him in for a messy kiss. When they separated again, Remus gave Logan a smile that showed he was all too pleased with himself.

The two stood in silence, looking at one another for just a few moments. The love and excitement in Remus' eyes was overwhelming.

"What does this make us?" Remus finally asked, breaking the silent spell that was on the two of them. "I'm not naive enough to believe that the things listed in books are how romance works, but my only example is Janus and Patton, and their relationship is... I don't know how to explain it."

"I don't necessarily think we need a label, however, I know that for me, this change means that I want to get to know you in more than the academic sense that we have been discussing."

"Oh, so are you saying you want to get to know me in a carnal sense?"

Logan should have been prepared for this, he had been getting to know Remus for a few weeks now and this kind of outburst was one hundred percent something he would come up with. Yet Logan blushed softly, surprised by Remus' words.

"Maybe eventually, but for now..." He reached over, intertwining his fingers with Remus'. "Would you like to do an experiment on the physiological response of close contact?" Logan was already taking notes in his head, even if Remus said no.

However, Remus looked down at their intertwined hands, and Logan saw a million thoughts fly through Remus' head, his eyes flitting as if he was trying to keep up, and yet still intensely focused on Logan's hand. "Yeah, yeah, I think that's a really good idea."