Chapter 17 - Home

"Welcome home, Kiddo," Patton was waiting for them as they stepped out of the shadows.

"Were you waiting for me? How did you..." Roman's voice tapered off. Someone had been waiting for him.

"Virgil sent a crow. Now, let's get you cleaned up and get some food in your stomach and in the morning we can discuss what's happening and where we go from here."

Roman didn't know how to respond to that, so he just nodded and let himself be led to the hot spring. It felt like a whirlwind as Patton took care of him and kept him distracted. He wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing to be distracted from everything he had just found out, but he wasn't ready to battle plan everything just yet, so it might have been a good thing to be distracted. He didn't even realize how late it had gotten until he was being led to his room, Patton giving him a big hug and promising they would figure it all out in the morning.

The morning came far too early and Roman almost wondered if it had all been a dream if his mother's betrayal had been a dark nightmare, a fear that was sitting in his heart. Roman went through the motions as he put his shirt back on. He was about ready to open the door when it swung open on its own. Remus threw himself at Roman, hugging him tightly.

"Hey Robro, Patso told me what happened, are you okay?"

"I...I don't know."

Roman could tell that Remus wanted to ask more, but didn't know how.

"I think it's still too much, I haven't processed it yet."

"Would a distraction help?"

"I don't know."

They both fell silent for a bit as Remus led Roman to the bed so they could both sit down. "What if I start asking you questions, and then if we hit subjects that you don't feel comfortable with, you can push me towards a different topic."

"Yeah, okay, that sounds good."

"What are some things that I'm missing out on by not having been to the city?"

"The people." Roman said without a bit of hesitation. "There are so many different people and ideas, and it's interesting to see how they all live together, and work out their conflicts. When things got too stressful at home, Logan would help me sneak out, I would walk around the people and just exist. I would try to learn what their biggest problems and fears were. It made things like festivals, when everyone is more jovial and happy, so much better." Roman flopped back onto the bed, looking at the stone ceiling. "I had just decided that this was what I wanted, and now I'm not sure again."

"Life is weird like that." Remus flopped next to him. "I thought I was happy just being here but, after meeting you, I kinda want more. I want to be able to see more and do more."

"So what do we do now?"

"It's probably not socially acceptable to just burn down the castle?"

Roman shook his head. "There are servants who live there who aren't involved. I would prefer they not get hurt."

"Damn, well, there goes my idea. How about for now you tell me more about the festivals?"

"Alright," He muttered and started telling Remus about the different festivals and their cultural significance. The more Roman talked the more he lit up.

"Wow, you know a lot of things, that's pretty cool."

"Oh, I'm not nearly as intelligent as Logan."

"Do you have to be? It's a different kind of smart right? Both are valuable."

Roman was surprised but nodded slowly. "I guess I just..."

"Were you compared to Logan for a lot of your life because of how intelligent he is."

"Yeah, I guess,"

"Your mom really is a bitch."

"HEY!"

"What, am I wrong?"

Roman rolled his eyes, "No, you aren't wrong."

"So, later when you aren't feeling in the dumps I wanna talk about me okay? I... I think I heard of a way to help dad."

"Alright, we can talk about it now?"

"No, not yet. So tell me about your knight's training. Dad says I would be too dangerous with a sword so he's never taught me."

The two went back to their conversation and Roman was feeling a lot better when he eventually left his room to go sit in the hot springs again. He had found that it was a great place for him to think. He walked towards the water when he noticed Virgil perched upon a rock.

"Princey,"

"Your godliness,"

"First, you already called me that, it's not clever. Second, I told you not to. Third, postponing the storm the castle plot."

"I'm reevaluating if that's what I want."

"And why wouldn't it be?"

"I'm not sure I want to fight against my mother for a throne over people who could so easily be tricked into believing I was someone else."

"So you're scared,"

Roman's shoulders raised in defensiveness. "Psh, no, that's not it."

Virgil rolled his eyes and Roman deflated. "Maybe, but also, I'm able to be more myself here. I've discovered that I can be an interesting person sometimes."

"No shit, Sherlock, just figure that out?"

"Who's Sherlock, I'm Roman."

"Oh yeah, we aren't there yet." Roman looked confused but didn't ask any further questions.

"So are you going to take the crown back."

"I think so, but I need to be prepared first," He said softly. "And I don't think I'm ready for it."

"Alright, I respect that, just don't wait too long. Take the time you need, but sometimes you won't ever be ready." Virgil went to jump into the water but disappeared before hitting its surface.

"Show off," Roman whispered before sliding in. He probably would never be ready, but he did still need a plan before he did anything.