Chapter 16 - The Unexpected

Traveling through the country was lonely, but he knew it would be worth it as he got closer to the capital city. Roman had spent his life learning how to help his people and once he thought about it, this really was what he wanted. He wanted to help, he wanted to lead, he wanted to serve. Coming back to the palace would be the best way to achieve all of those desires.

Once he entered the city he covered his face, wanting to make sure he wasn't immediately recognized. He had no idea what had happened after his disappearance and those who lived inside the castle should be the first to know of his return. However, covering his face was useful for a reason he hadn't predicted, it hid the shock as he stood in the capitol square. He had noticed the celebratory vibes, but he hadn't realized what exactly was going on. Apparently, the streamers and banners were for 'Prince Roman's' wedding. It was hard to maneuver around so that he could see things, but eventually, he climbed into a tree, and perched so high he could see his mother standing next to the couple. She had a smile on her face as if nothing was wrong. Surely this had to be a curse of some kind, or maybe that was Remus up there and they really had played him all along.

No, no. He knew better than that. Remus wouldn't have agreed to that and Remus couldn't stand still and dignified like that to save his life. The more he looked at the fake prince the more he was certain that it was simply a man who looked close enough to fool people who did not see Roman on a daily basis. He jumped from the tree, ready to charge to the front of the crowd and demand an explanation, but a hand grabbed him.

"Don't do something stupid Princey," The voice was quiet and forceful, and Roman was certain he had heard it before. As he turned around and saw Virgil grabbing his arm and dragging him away from the crowd. "Seriously, how dumb are you? At least Remus doesn't have a death wish."

"Where did you come from? I didn't see you in the crowd at all."

"Doesn't matter, what was your plan, to just go up and demand to be allowed back in? You probably would have been killed before anyone noticed what happened. Seriously, you were trained on this shit. At best you would have been captured and they would have said you were bewitched and that putting you out of your misery was the best option."

"I can't just let someone, with no training and no experience, to take over my throne! What if he hurts my people?" Roman attempted to pull out of Virgil's grip, but it was surprisingly strong for such a thin guy. He had noticed that before, a lot of things about Virgil were surprising.

"Damn it, all things in time, but you can't rule this kingdom if you are dead."

"Why do you even care?" He realized that fighting against Virgil wasn't helping him but he didn't know what else to do. He didn't know how to make it all better. "And how did you find me?"

"Have you not put it together yet? Apparently, I'm the god of dumbasses."

"Wait you're a god?!"

"Caw caw bitch,"

Roman almost fell to his knees as the realization hit him. The symbol of his god always being so present, the way Virgil seemed to just appear in places. He had no idea that gods had physical forms, but he also wasn't surprised.

"Oh get up, and come on."

Virgil easily dragged him to a nearby food stall, grabbing them something to eat so they would look less conspicuous and then leading Roman to a fence to rest against. In his ultimate mercy, Virgil did not start talking immediately, giving Roman a chance to really absorb what was happening. He did however glare Roman down so that he knew that he wasn't going to just run off and take over the throne again.

"Feeling a little better, princey?"

"Not really, but I'm feeling less reckless."

"Good, now, what are you going to do next?"

"What can I do? My mother literally replaced me as if I were just a pawn to her! I gave up everything to try to make sure my people were safe, mind you, it worked out more in my favor than I was expecting, but still, how could she just do that?"

"This is the same woman that had your brother abandoned."

Roman's shoulders slumped because Virgil was right. This was the same woman who had never cared about his emotions and had constantly tried to push him harder and further. He thought it was out of a desire to see him succeed but Roman was beginning to question that because she didn't really celebrate his achievements.

"So I ask again, what next?"

"I... I still want to take over the kingdom. I believe that my people will do better with a leader who cares about them, and I don't know this imposter but there is no way he has my training, but... I don't know how to do that. I don't have an army, and I'm not proficient in espionage."

"Do you know what you do have?"

Roman turned to Virgil confused.

"A family. You have a dragon, a witch, the craziest human I've ever met, and the smartest."

"But... this is my fight. They wouldn't-" Roman cut himself off as Virgil rolled his eyes.

"Fine, it doesn't hurt to ask." Roman felt like a petulant child being scolded by his parents.

"Come on dumbass, just this once I'll get you there faster."

"So you've really been following me around all this time?"

"Yes, and do you know how hard it has been to get you to Janus? Seriously, you would think you would follow easier when I'm trying to help."

"I'm so sorry you godliness."

"No, absolutely not, don't call me that."