Chapter 5 - Curious Questions

Janus worked Roman to the bone. He spent the entire day running around the caves looking for whatever ingredients the dragon needed, and some that Roman was entirely convinced he didn't need. This was probably part of his punishment, a way to lord his power over Roman once again and Roman had no way of stopping it. By the time he crawled in bed, he was exhausted and didn't have time to think or worry about what the rest of his days might hold. A day of physical labor shouldn't have been this hard on him, especially since he would train every day with the knights, but traversing a cave was far different than the flat grounds of the training field.

Before he knew it, there was a soft knock on his door. The morning had already come and Roman didn't even remember falling asleep. He stretched and yawned, rolling his shoulders as he tried to work out the muscle fatigue that was still there.

"Hey Roman, are you awake?" The voice was far too soft and kind to be Janus, and it certainly wasn't that gremlin, so it must be Patton, and that thought caused him to speed up his morning routine just a bit. He had enjoyed talking to Patton when he got the chance, and Patton was a familiar face that made him feel less alone in this world.

Once he had gotten his shirt on he threw the door open. "Sorry for the wait."

"No worries, Kiddo, I was just wondering if Jannie had bothered showing you where the hot springs are?"

"What?"

"See, I knew he probably forgot. He isn't quite like humans so he doesn't need to bathe very often but I'm sure you would like to know where you can do that if you ever feel the need."

Roman immediately nodded his head, getting the dirt and dust off of him from traveling, as well as the sweat from working yesterday, would be absolutely amazing.

"Good, why don't you follow me, and while we walk, I can answer any questions that you have."

"That would be amazing."

Patton gave him a warm smile that reminded him of his dad, and Roman wished he knew how to put all of his questions into words. There were so many different things that he wanted to ask, so many things he wanted to say, but the first thing that came out of his mouth probably wasn't the most tactful. "Is the dragon holding you hostage as well?"

The other man let out a soft and sad chuckle, shaking his head gently. "Jannie and I have a completely different arrangement than the one the two of you have. I guess what we have is more akin to marriage?"

"Marriage?" Roman was completely stunned by this turn of events. How was this ball of sunshine and happiness married to the brooding manipulator of darkness and lies, because he had to be a liar? Some of the things Janus had said about dragon's yesterday had to be lies.

"Yep! I know the side of him that you are seeing probably isn't his best side, but Janus isn't really a bad guy. He rescued Remus when he had been abandoned in the forest. He cares for injured animals whenever he can, though he doesn't want anyone to know, and honestly, I know you might see this differently but, he never took revenge on your kingdom. Janus is strong, but losing his entire family was hard on him, and I know that he had thought about taking revenge before, and I've asked him why he hasn't, do you want to know what his response was?"

"I guess,"

"He told me, 'I can't drag innocent people into a war that has been over for so long. I'm going to protect this one.' After watching his family be killed by humans he decided to choose kindness, at least for Remus. It's moments like that that make me love him. He might act cold and gruff but underneath it all I know he is a very good man." Patton was smiling and Roman wished he could believe him because it was obvious that Patton meant every word he said.

"What do you think he wants from me then?"

"I really wish I knew. If only so I could tell you and you didn't feel so lost, but I can only guess, and honestly, my best guess is that it has something to do with Remus."

"What do you mean?"

"Well.. you two are brothers, and I might have been human at one point but I'm pretty far removed from a mortal lifestyle at this point. Remus is basically like a son to Jannie, and he probably wants his boy to meet someone who is like him."

"We are nothing alike!"

"I can tell that the two of you are very different, but that doesn't mean you don't have anything in common. I think it would be a good idea for you two to get to know each other. If only because it would give you a better understanding of one another."

Roman tensed at that and Patton must have noticed because he immediately gave Roman a soft smile. "Don't worry, I'm not going to try to force you into anything. I just think it would be a good idea, kiddo."

"Maybe," but he wasn't convinced. There was something about Remus that just completely unnerved him. Maybe it was because Roman could see their differences just by looking in Remus' eyes but whatever it was, he didn't want to have to face it.

"Think about it, but for now, here's the hot spring if you ever need to clean off or relax your muscles. I think Jannie has a spell maintained on it so that the water always stays clean and the longer you stay in it the cleaner you will become as well. Take as much time as you need, and then meet me back at the kitchen, think you can do that?"

Roman nodded, despite barely hearing what Patton had said. He was taken over by the surprise of the hot springs. It looked more comfortable than anything he had ever had in the palace, though it didn't look like he would have much privacy if anyone chose to walk in on him.

"Good, I'll see you soon, kiddo."

"Yeah," Roman mumbled as he began to take off his shirt. The room was already warming and relaxing his muscles and bones. He couldn't wait to get into the water and relax into it.