Perfect Disaster

Despite my indifference to waking up early, I was up before 6:30 a.m. for a number of reasons. One, my kind-of date with Gabe tonight, and two, the key I shoved in my drawer last night while having a complete breakdown, at least that's what I'm telling myself it was.

I crawled across my bed and looked at the drawer. It's nothing Lennon, and if it is, it's not what you think. I didn't want to admit to myself that this bizarre key appeared around the same time that a strange mark appeared on my stomach which resembled a key hole.

My hand, shaking, reached out to grab the handle. I did, and my hand found it's way to the key. Holding it in front of me, I became enamored by the tiny object. This piece of metal felt like a part of me, and the finger print was an exact replica of mine. The previous pain on my abdomen had been replaced by this uncanny feeling to unite the key and the mark. As I lifted up my shirt, my door burst open; Kinsey.

I quickly tucked the key under my leg while Kinsey gave me an odd look "what?" I asked her, hoping she didn't see a glimpse of the key.

"Aren't you excited?" Said Kinsey with a child-like grin on her face.

"Excited for what?" I replied laughing.

"You know what for, don't play dumb with me." She sat down next to me, and I scooted over a bit.

"Yes, I'm beyond excited, but you all need to be out of the house, including Bode. I love you all, but-"

"You want some alone time?" Kinsey cut in while furrowing her eyebrows. She knew exactly what I was thinking. "We'll take Bode to see a movie, and then get him ice cream. Simple."

"Thanks." I replied to whole-heartedly.

"So, what was it you hid under your leg?" Shit.

"Oh, you saw that? It's just something I found in the house, nothing special."

"We'll if it isn't special, can I see it?" Why was she questioning me again?

"Yeah, I don't see why not." I slowly pulled it out, and her eyes grew. I didn't want her to know about the key, it was my secret, why did I have to share it with her?

"You found this?" She questioned me.

"Yes, under the stairs, like I said. I think I might make a necklace or something, why?"

"It's just kind of old, you know? It might be fragile. Maybe you should put it back." This really pissed me off.

"How do you know how old it is? I found it, so I should get to decide what I want to do with it. You're not the boss, so stop acting like it." I knew it was childish to say, but in my mind, I was right. I had never been an angry person before coming here, so why was I upset now? "Look, I'm sorry, I'm just nervous, and I have to run and get some groceries for tonight. See you later?" I grabbed the key out of her hand and rushed out of the room. My brain felt fuzzy, and for a split second, I considered taking Kinsey's advice about putting the key back. If it was making me so crazy, nothing good can come from it.

I stood in front of the staircase, and lifting the third stair from the bottom, I grabbed the key and reached to put it in the stair. Before letting it go, I saw something taped to the top, it must have been too dark last night for me to see it. It was a piece of paper folded up, addressed to me. This had to be some kind of sick joke from one of my siblings, probably Tyler. I never should have told them about my stupid dream. I read the letter anyways, I mean come on, it's a mysterious letter from the stairs.

To my dearest Lennon,
If you are reading this, something must have happened to me where I couldn't stop you all from coming to this house. I am sure that you have found many of the keys hidden around the house by now, and I hope for the most part, they are fun. This key, that you hold on your hand, is a bit different than the rest; this key is your key. I know it is hard to understand, and it will all be explained when you are ready to hear it. It can be a beautiful key for you to use, but can also be ugly and unforgiving. Take care of it, and it will take care of you. I know you must have many questions about why it is yours, and for now, I will leave you with this; when you were born, there were complications. I knew there may be a key to help, so I took you to key house. Sure enough, there was, but I wasn't aware of the consequences of using it. You became well, and I was filled with joy. I hope this letter and key finds you well, I write this while holding 5-month you in my arms.