Secrets Unsurfaced

My eyes were burning: betrayal. My hands were shaking: lies. My head was turning: madness. These were all things that described the events of what my siblings told me Saturday night. I can still recall the tightening of my chest as I learned of what my family kept from me. I was right all along; I'm on the outside.

I had stared at them, waiting for them to say it was a joke, a decoy, a game, whatever I could conjure up in my mind that could explain what was being told to me. Kinsey held my hand, while Tyler held his head in his hands.

"I don't understand. We're you guys mad at me about leaving?" I justified to myself. How could they keep this? All of them, including Bode, had lied straight to my face and let me think I was crazy. I shouldn't have been so mad, I told myself. It was only for a week, you're overreacting, but then I thought: If I hadn't come so close to discovering their secret, would they have told me at all?

I was pacing now with my hand on my forehead, and then I looked at Tyler. "Prove it."

Tyler slips a key out of his pocket. He holds it in front of my face- a music note. I frown, does he think I'm stupid?

Kinsey grabs her music box and brings it to Tyler, hat hands shaking like mine. Tyler puts the key in and turns it-nothing. "Maybe I'm not the one who needs to be admitted." I remarked with a twisted, choking laugh. I don't usually rely on humor to cope, but I guess I'm learning a lot about myself that I never knew.

"Just wait!"exclaimed Bode with a frustration look. Tyler turns and stared at me.

"Lennon Locke, do jumping jacks." I laughed in response, but stopped after my body started doing the action asked of me.

"How is this possible?" I gasped trying to catch my breath.

"We're not exactly sure, it has something to do with our family, and the well lady." Responded Bode, to which I gave him a look of concern.

"Well lady?" The room went silent.

Kinsey took the time to explain it to me, how a crazy being was trying to collect the keys from us, but can't physically take them either. I had questions, I just didn't know where to start. "Who is she? Who else knows about the keys? What does the key that I found do? Why aren't we fighting back?"

"We don't know who she is, and I'm not sure what that key does, but we'll find out. As for not fighting back, we're don't know how. Oh, the only people who know about the keys beside us are Scot, and well, Gabe." Answered Kinsey, drifting off on the last part.

My heart stopped with that last piece of information. Gabe knew, the bastard knew. Tears formed in my eyes as Kinsey walked over to comfort me, and I shrugged her off. "Were you even going to tell me if I hadn't come this close to your.. your secret?" I spat with that last word coming out bitter. I had never felt so left out before, it was new to me.

"Lennon..." trailed Tyler, but before he could continue, I sprinted upstairs into my bedroom and locked the door, hoping they didn't have a key for that too. I grabbed my yellow suitcase, still smelling the lavender I had brought home for Bode. I needed to get out of this house. I stuffed only essential in my luggage, about to crawl out my window, when I thought about my key. I snatched it from my hiding place, wiped my eyes, and continued my journey out the window.

I wondered for about an hour, before I found myself at Matheson academy. Making my way through the dorms, I shuffled over to Eden's door in a mess. I knocked, and she answered with nothing but her usual: her swinging the door open with a glare. Her face quickly turned sympathetic as she saw my puffed eyes and ushered me into her room. I didn't tell her about the keys, but I told her they lied, and so did Gabe.