Betrayal is Bittersweet

Surprisingly, I was awake before the rest of my siblings, but that was due to the fact that I had now become an insomniac, and that I was now starting a new year of school as an upperclassman. School used to have me scared so much, but now that I've faced literal demons, it seemed like just any other day.

I had just finished up cooking strawberry and chocolate chip pancakes when my family seemed to gather around the table. "I was yelling at you for like ten minutes to get up, and here you are spoiling us with pancakes?" Questioned Kinsey before stabbing one pancake with a fork.

"I've been up for a while, how did you not notice I wasn't in bed? Oh, eat up you guys, there is a whole stack-full of those waiting by the stove."

"So, you still haven't been sleeping?"

I froze while scrubbing the pan in the sink. I hated when she did this, she knew I was avoiding it, and she proved anyways. "I have been having a rough couple of nights, so what? You always hated me not waking up, I thought you would think it was a nice change of scenery."

"I would if you were waking up, which you can't do if you don't go to sleep in the first place. Why don't you try talking to mom about seeing someone?" She was stepping on thin ice, I was- I am fine.

"Why? So I can get medicated like half of the teens in America? No thanks, I'll stick to insomnia any day." Lies. Lies. Lies. I just didn't want anyone to know I was struggling, which was obviously failing.

"There is nothing wrong with getting a little help. It's normal to have nightmares that scare you after a traumatic event." I snorted.

"Like you didn't experience the same event? The only difference between you and me right now is that I'm facing my fears. I might be going about it the wrong way, but at least I didn't take the easy way out and drop mine off on the side of the road. Get over yourself and stop talking down to me." Easy tiger, why are you getting so angry? "Wow, I sound like a hormonal bitch. I'm sorry Kinsey, it's just the nerves. You know, me and school, NOT a good combo." I interjected quickly, hoping to recover. More lies, wow, keep it up Lennon. Her hard frown turned soft.

"It's fine really, you're right. I am talking down to you, you're my sister, not some little kid. It's your choice how you deal with this."

"Thanks."

We got into Tyler's car, and Kinsey asked him how Jackie was doing, which he responded with a story of how she remembered using magic, and then she didn't. "Lennon, imagine going into Gabe's head, and him not remembering any of it."

It surprised me, I had never been in his head. He hadn't been in mine either, I was afraid he would find out about my key, which could put him in danger. I had just never thought of it that way.
.......................................

I stepped out of Tyler's car and made my way to the school. I spotted Gabe, who seemed to notice me. "Welcome to the upper class." greeted Gabe as he offered me his arm.

"You're in a good mood."

"Why wouldn't I be? We're juniors now, and I'm with the most beautiful girl in all of Matheson. I can only go up." I stopped him at my locker.

"I'm so happy we're here, together. I don't think I could make it through today without you."

"Well, at least we actually have classes together this year. Last year was almost unbearable." He whispered before cupping my neck. He brought his lips down to mine, and I swear, it feels like the first kiss every time.

"I'd say get a room, but you already have one Gabe. Now next time, for the love of god, please use it." Interrupted Eden, who earned a look of warning from Gabe.