Chapter 4.

Harvey sat in his town car, he couldn't think of anything to get Mike. He wasn't stupid so he knew he couldn't just buy Mike. He had to think of a gift that would tell Mike he did care, even if he never said it out loud; that Harvey did appreciate him, and he needed him back. He thought it was a lot to say with one thing, which he was trying to do, to think of the perfect gift, but the more he raked his mind for something, the less he had.

At first he had thought maybe a new bike, but then thought it was an extravagant gift that might say I'm just throwing money at the problem, and then he thought maybe a new suit, but again it might be misconstrued as him making some comment on Mike's suits. After that Harvey got distracted thinking about how horrible some of those suits had been at first and he laughed as he thought about those stupid skinny ties.

Then it hit him, he would get Mike a new skinny tie. Something to say everything he needed to say, as well as an underlying message of acceptance. He grinned as he turned to Ray and told him his idea. Ray agreed that it was a thoughtful gift idea and soon the two men found themselves at a high up suit store on fifth, looking at hundreds of skinny ties. Harvey actually wished for once that his tailor wasn't such a suit snob; it would have been way easier to pick a tie with his help.

After an hour staring at the ties Harvey went with a simple bright blue tie that he knew would go perfect with Mike's eyes, not that they needed any more emphasis as it was. As he was leaving the store, the tie wrapped in a simple black box, Harvey couldn't help but give himself a pat on the back; he had done good.

When Harvey got back to the office, almost two hours after Donna had kicked it out, it was too her sending him an approving smile. He didn't know if it was because he had listened to her, or because she somehow knew about the tie.

He didn't have to wonder long, as once he got up to her desk Donna said with an approving nod of her head, "Nice, you went with the blue skinny tie; it will look wonders on Mike. I'm sure he'll love it Harvey."

After a second of spluttering, wonder how on earth Donna could know what he got Mike, he simply said, "I do too."

He then went into his office to deposit his coat before heading off in search of Mike with gift in hand. After his search came up fruitless, however, he made his way back to Donna's desk to ask if she knew where Mike was.

Donna face palmed as she answered him apologetically, "I forgot. He and Louis left like twenty minutes ago to meet Mr. Collins." Donna sent him a sympathetic smile before she turned back to her computer and presumably got back to work, throwing a simple "Sorry" over her shoulder.

Harvey sighed for what felt like the millionth time that day as he collapsed on his couch, his head leaning back, eyes closed. Although the break had done him good, it had done nothing for his concentration. Opening one eye he looked in Donna's direction through the glass walls before saying, "Tell me when he's back please Donna." Even though he had barely spoken above a whisper, and Donna made no response, he knew she had heard him, and would tell him when Mike got back. He would just have to wait.

SUITS

When Louis told Mike they had an appointment with the client he almost burst with excitement. He was going to be involved in one of the biggest cases of the year. As he followed Louis to the elevators his mind was running through everything he had read in the case file again. He was so distracted by it that he found himself suddenly standing in front of a cab, Louis gesturing him inside. Mike felt a pang go through his heart as he thought about how Harvey would be shooing him to the other side. That didn't even make sense. Why would he miss Harvey being rude?

Mike tried to shake the thoughts out of his head as he got inside the cab and moved over so Louis could get in. He had to focus on the case, not the fact he missed Harvey. He had missed Harvey since he had tried to fire him in the bathroom. That, in his mind, was when he had lost the other man and he thought to himself that he should be over it by now. Mike fought the frown off his face, and with a forced, sad smile, turned to Louis to discuss the case again. After all, you can never be too prepared.

The meeting with the client ran longer than expected. There was more behind the story then they had previously thought, and luckily for them, it was all in their favor. Mike focused his mind on the client, and the client only, and managed to stay that way until they were half way back to Pearson and Darby. He started thinking about what those associates had said. How he wasn't good enough to work with Harvey and how Harvey didn't want him. Had Harvey really just seen him as a piece of property that he got bored with? Had he really only tried to get him to come back because he just couldn't stand Louis touching what he saw as his?

Mike wouldn't be surprised. The world was rarely kind to him, and its favorite past time was taking away the people Mike cared about. He had lost his parents when he was so young, and in such a sudden and tragic way, he was lucky he functioned like a semi-normal human being. He had only gotten through that grief in one piece because of his Grammy, and now she was gone too, taken away when he could have used one of her comforting hugs. He lost Trevor, Jenny, and Tess. He had even lost Rachel, who had dumped him when he said he was going to go work for Louis. The world might not kill all the people he loved, but it still took them away. Why not take Harvey away too?

Mike wasn't taken out of his sullen thoughts until Louis told him they were back, some concern showing through in his voice. He could see that something was hurting the kid, and had a pretty good idea what it was, but he couldn't think of a way to fix it. Instead he decided to stay nice to Mike, and not let his temper get the best of him when it came to him, at least until he started looking like he was doing better emotionally.

Mike silently followed Louis into the building, and up to his office, where Louis handed him a few files with the instruction to have them done for the next day. They both knew that on a normal day Mike could have the work done in a few hours, so Mike was grateful that Louis had given him the day. He didn't think he could focus very well at the moment.

As Mike sat back down at his cubical, he put in his ear buds, had his highlighter between his teeth, and was getting ready to dig into the paper work. He would finish this, and then he could let his mind wander without fear of losing time to do his work. He could do it; he would just use the work as a distraction from thoughts about his old boss.