Chapter 16.

Harvey spent another workday getting only the bear minimum done, which really could be nothing depending on his case load, and instead focused most of his attention and efforts on Mike. Donna would come in and help him brainstorm ideas for getting Mike back, not in a professional capacity, but a personal one. Donna assured Harvey that the simple distinction would make all the difference. She assured Harvey that thinking of it completely away from the office would do the trick, or at least it was their best chance.

By the time the end of the day came round Harvey had his sleeves rolled up, tie hanging loosely around his neck and a scotch in his hand. Every time he or Donna got an idea the other would point out a major flaw and they would end up with nothing. They debated on whether Mike was the type of person who would prefer a grand gesture, or a small private one. Donna, being the drama queen she was, thought a grand gesture was the way to go, while Harvey was convinced that would probably just annoy Mike more than anything. They had just given up on arguing about it when the last person Harvey wanted to see walked up to his office, knocking on the glass door.

It was a moment like this that made Harvey hate the fact one entire wall of his office was glass; there was no way to get away with pretending no one was inside. While Harvey glared at the man Donna motioned him in. After all, she knew perfectly well nothing was happening between him and Mike, or at least what Harvey thought was happening.

Greeting the man with a smile she said, "Mr. Collins. To what do we own this pleasure?" She was hoping his visit would be of help to her and Harvey's goal. God knew they needed the help.

Mr. Collins looked at Harvey, slight fear showing in his eyes, but he smiled big as he answered, "Well, I believe we have a mutual friend that is in need of some help, and I think this is the place to start." He kept flicking his eyes between Donna and Harvey; taking comfort in one, and fear in the other. Harvey still said nothing so Mr. Collins tried to verify where all the hostility was coming from. "Mr. Spector, are you under the impression that something other than friendship is going on between Mike and me?" He cocked his head to the side, squinting in question.

Harvey just continued to glare at him, although less intensely, so Donna decided to play the intermediate. "Yes, that's right. He is under the impression you and Mike have a more intimate relationship."

Mr. Collins smiled softly as he tried to sooth the angry man. "Although Mike and I do have an intimate relationship, it is not a physical one; simply two very close friends." He took a step toward Harvey, whose glare was faltering, as he continued, "I already found my soul mate years ago, and besides, I think we all know who Mike's true soul mate is." He raised an eyebrow at Harvey, and to his amusement he could see a slight blush creeping onto his ears.

Harvey wanted to believe what this man was saying, so very bad, but he just couldn't stop the skeptical part of his brain from budding in, making him doubt the man's words. The part of him that couldn't take another blow was trying to protect him, and he was having trouble overcoming it. With hopeful, yet sad eyes he asked, "What makes you think Mike feels the same way? Who are you to say who his soul mate is?"

At this Mr. Collins just sent Harvey a knowing smile and Donna copied the look as they both just looked at Harvey. Mr. Collins walked up to Harvey and put his hand on his shoulder, as he said, "I'm an actor. It's my job to know what all emotions look like so I can copy them, and either Mike is an amazing actor, or he is head over heels in love." Smirking a little, he asked Harvey, "Do you think Mike is an amazing actor?"

Donna let out a snort of amusement as Harvey let a humours smile quickly flit across his face, before saying, "I know for a fact that kid couldn't act to save his life." Harvey felt hope in his stomach as he looked between the two other people in the room before smiling slightly, "You said you were here to help Mike. What did you have in mind?"

At this a giant and goofy smile lit up Mr. Collins face as he exclaimed, "Well I was thinking this…"

Suits

After running from Harvey's office Mike made it back to the bull pen, but upon seeing multiple heads turn toward him to blatantly stair, he turned on his heels and decided it was time for lunch. He was relieved that he always kept his wallet in his pocket now, instead of in his messenger bag. He made his way to the elevator to wait for the next one to come by his floor.

As the doors slid open Mike was pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Collins with that sideways grin that seemed to always be on his face. It was a grin that Mike just couldn't resist returning. Smiling, he asked, "What are you doing here? I thought all the business with the lawsuit was done with."

When the doors tried to slide close on them the actor pulled Mike into the elevator, and said in a happy, playful tone, "Of course it is silly. You ought to know, you closed it; but to answer your question, I actually came to see if you were interested in getting some lunch with me."

Mike smiled at the idea of having a lunch mate. "Of course I am. I don't think I'd ever pass up an opportunity to hang out with you."

Patting Mike's arm Mr. Collins said "Great!" before he pressed the main floor button. Once they had made it out the front doors he turned to Mike and asked, "Where do you want to go?"

Mike took a moment to think before the wind changed direction and he could smell grilling hotdogs. Looking over at his new friend he smiled with satisfaction. "How about the hotdog cart? Then we can go and sit in the park and people watch while we eat."

Mike could see how much Mr. Collins liked the idea and minutes later found the two friends sitting on a bench in the park, hotdogs in hand, as well as coffees beside them, as they watched the people in the park. After Mike got up to throw away their garbage he sat back down with a content sigh. He loved the park, and upon seeing a questioning look from Mr. Collins, Mike told him what he was thinking.

"I love the park." The actor could see Mike drifting off into another world as he continued talking. "I love seeing all the couples; all the children playing." Mike got a far off smile on his face. "It makes me think of all the things I want. The things I know I'll get one day." After a few moments Mike came back to the real world and turned to look at his friend. "It reminds me that one day, I'll be one of those people walking through the park holding the hand of the person they love, or one of the parents over there watching as their children run and play." A storm rolled in behind Mike's eyes, a storm brought on by a sad and tragic life; memories of loss and abandonment, of pain and loneliness. A sadness showing through his eyes that the actor would never want to see on anyone, most of all such a young and kind man. Mike smiled brokenly as he all but whispered, "It reminds me that I'll be able to have a family again one day. That I won't always be alone. That one day, I'll be happy."