Chapter Thirty

Rajkumari Isha’s necklace extended to her navel, the lotus pendant laying on the folds of her skirts. The golden beads glittered against the deep blue silk of her sari. The borders were golden with tiny peonies and jasmines picked out in shimmering silk threads. The other princesses gathered round her with admiring eyes as she fingered and rolled the beads between long fingers, hanging on her every word. Her father had gotten them for her off a trader from Persia. Ajiona garnered one thing from the display : the coffers of Madulalpuram ran deep.

The Rajkumari’s attire was flamboyant for their simple picnic by the river side. They sat on plump carpets and cushions spread beneath the broad foliage of a grove of gulmohar trees; listening to the burbling of the slow moving river, eating the yogurts, sweetmeats and four different types of tea provided to them for their outing. Their guards were far away enough as humanly possible to give them the illusion of privacy and still be able to come to their aid when required. A few people going about their everyday lives had passed by and dipped their heads in greeting before disappearing down the bend. Ajiona had meant for the outing to be a simple one of the princesses enjoying a few moments of silence away from the hustle and bustle of the palace as the birthday feast was drawing near. They were to play Parcheesi; the veenas; read or write poems and test their skills. That was until Isha unveiled her necklace and the others went to her with oohs and aahs. Which was all well and good, Ajiona wasn’t in the right mind to play host. She was distracted.

Ajiona quietly drank her tea, soothed by the perfume and the lingering thoughts of the night before.A small smile curved her lips and there was a constant pink flush on her face as she imagined Bhalla’s hands on her shoulders and then his arms around her and how his mouth had felt on hers. He’d tasted of harsh liqueur and his kiss had been so deep that she’d felt drunk as well. Ajiona bit on her lower lip, she could almost feel the pressure on his mouth on hers, almost taste the alcohol. She could almost feel his calloused hands on her arms, sliding up and down, igniting twin lines of fiery heat that engulfed her and she had to stop before she got incinerated.

The entire thing felt like a dream she conjured up. It was simply surreal. One did not expect the great Bhalladeva to scale the walls of her balcony, drunk and hot with desire for her. She hadn’t expected what he’d said to her and what had followed. The kiss felt like he was trying to drink her in, like she was a drug. If not for the linger scent of sandalwood, alcohol and masculine scent left behind on her sheets, she would have been convinced everything was a creation of an overactive mind that needed an outlet. It would be completely scandalous if anyone found out. She smothered the urge to giggle into her cup. Her body vibrated with a restless energy. She was bursting with the need to gossip about the previous night, all the while giggling and reminiscing. The only ones she could tell were Mekhala and Pragya, although the latter wouldn’t approve of the entire thing. She would think it was scandalous and be agitated that someone would overhear and spread the rumor.
Ajiona thought it was lucky that no one saw Bhalla come and leave her quarters, and through such unconventional means. Although she couldn’t be completely sure. Mekhala did come in not long after Bhalla was done and whether or not she saw the prince, her expression gave no indication. Ajiona frowned as she reviewed that thought. There had been something about Mekhala’s expression that put her on edge and she thought something was amiss. Before she could inquire as to what the problem was, Pragya had entered to remind her of her duties today.

‘... and then I told him I would have either his tongue or his hands. Such rudeness against the royal family should not be tolerated …’ Isha paused in her charming anecdote and briefly glanced in Ajiona’s direction.

Ajiona caught the look and thought her daydreaming must have been plain for all to see. She carefully arranged her face into an enraptured mask. Isha smiled, showing sharp canines. It didn’t fool her.