Chapter Seventeen

Pragya lifted an exquisite gold necklace up from where it was nestled on the silk cloth and squinted at it as if trying to find any faults. But there weren't any, the necklace was layered, hanging down to the navel, each layer was as thin and fine as spider’s silk, mother of pearls and winking rubies found nesting places in the layers. It would be a perfect choice for her mistress.

'You have a good eye,' the merchant was saying, stroking his beard. He was dressed extravagantly, gems winked and glinted in various positions on his body. He towered over the four of them, beaming beatifically. 'It is indeed a marvelous necklace. Crafted by the best goldsmith in Persia, the pearls are of the finest quality, seen the sheen on them. The rubies have been blessed by great Swamis.'

Pragya didn't react to his words, she pursed her mouth thoughtfully and cocked her head to a side. 'I am not sure my mistress would want this. Forgive my saying good sir, I mean no disrespect, but this look a bit, say, cheap.'

The merchant's ruddy face went darker red. 'Cheap!?' He thundered. 'Why you!?'

'I meant no disrespect sir, but look at my mistress,' she bobbed her head in Ajiona's direction. The merchant looked too, his eyes narrowing speculatively.

Ajiona, oblivious to the scrutiny, was chatting merrily with Mekhala and the solemn guard who looked utterly bored with the affairs going on. Pragya's mistress was looking at the cheaper things, the ones made of coloured pottery and glass, polished river pebbles and cheap metal. Nevertheless, the merchant saw what she wanted him to see. A wealthy young woman decked in the finest of the finest. Too fine for a trip to the market, Ajiona had protested earlier but Pragya had gotten her way with her attire and the mode of transportation, if not with anything else. Their reasons for coming out clashed, Ajiona wanted to sightsee and buy roadside food and other cheap things, Pragya wanted her mistress to learn how to behave like a young noble woman which included looking the best and not talking to her servants in a friendly manner in public. She admired Ajiona's strength and friendliness and was fond of the naive foreigner but if she didn't learn she would get eaten alive in the palace. But Pragya remained hopeful that her mistress would learn, she had gotten Ajiona  to buy some fine silk materials and expensive looking knickknacks, the treasury had funded their outing well, and after she would suggest she find friends among the courtiers daughters.

'Of course,' the merchant finally said. 'What was I thinking?' His grin went impossibly wide and his attitude improved. He hollered at his attendant to bring out stools for them to sit under the expansive awning and serve them cold mango juice, while he brought out more merchandise.

'This one is silver from Arabia, this one is from Persia look at this one jade nose ring from Cina,' he went on and on and on. Pragya selected the ones she liked for her mistress with a dismissive bored look she had perfected over time.

Pragya bought a nine-stringed mekhala, a gem encrusted hairnet, payals with tinkling bells, two necklace, all for 50 gold Kārshāpaṇas. She didn't haggle.  The merchant was wrapping up the purchases when Ajiona piped up, holding a long necklace of silver and glass beads.

'How about this Pragya?' Her tone was open, friendly and completely informal. Pragya stifled a sigh.

The merchant's head swivelled towards Ajiona and his eyes shone with greed, sensing one he could take advantage of.

'You have a good eye devi,' he said rubbing his meaty paws in anticipation.

'How much is it?' Ajiona asked shortly. She has seen the greed in his eyes and gone cold and brusque. Pragya hid a smile of pride.

'For you, 10 gold Kārshāpaṇas.’

'Ten?' She said flatly. 'For something made from glass and pottery painted silver?'