Chapter Fifteen

On the night of the Holika Dahan, the evening of the purnima (full moon day), Mekhala told her of stories about the celebration of Holi. It started about three days ago when Ajiona displayed ignorance about the spring festival. So this late afternoon, Mekhala sat her in the balcony, the sky had deepened to a burnished bronze in the western horizon and the scorching sun had lessened in burning intensity, a blissful breeze blew past the balcony carrying the scents of incense and some flowers.

Mekhala stood behind her, a tray laden with ointments for hair set on a tall stool. Inside, in her chambers, Pragya and the other attendants bustled about setting things aright and choosing what their mistress would wear tonight. Mekhala untangled the top braid Ajiona had carried since morning and she began her tale:

'According to legend, King Hiranyakashipu was a king of the asuras, and he earned a boon, a special type of boon that gave him five powers: he could not be killed by either a human or an animal, neither indoors or outdoors, neither at day or night, neither by Astra or shastra, and neither on land nor in water or air.

As with anyone with power, he soon grew arrogant and thought he was a god, demanding everyone worshipped him as the only god. The people obeyed except for his own son, Prahlada. He remained devoted to Lord Vishnu. This infuriated the king of asuras and he in his fit of anger and madness sentenced his son to cruel and unspeakable punishments. But the boys faith did not waver and his resolve didn't weaken.

Finally, Holika, the boys evil aunt, tricked him into sitting on a pyre with her. She however, possessed a cloak that made her immune to fire, but Prahlada had no such protection and was therefore vulnerable. But,as the fire raged on, the cloak flew off Holika and onto the boy and the evil aunt was burnt to crisp.Lord Vishnu then took the form of Narasimha half lion half human at dusk, which was neither day or night but something in between, took Hiranyakashipu at a doorstep which was neither indoors not outdoors, placed him on his laps which was neither land water or air and disembowelled and killed him with his claws which was neither an Astra or a shastra. And so the reign of the king was over.
Today, we celebrate the triumph of good over evil by the Holika Dahan and the Holi.'

Ajiona wanted to ask whether a king like that truly existed and if the story was reality but she considered what has happened to her and decided it might have. She did get a visitation from a deity which begs the question, were all other deities real as well? Ajiona flushed with embarrassment as she remembered dozing in church and mimicking the preacher. The Christian God must have been watching her with a disapproving look on his Eternal face. The enormity of everything made her shy away from the thoughts, so Rick Riordan had been right. But her thoughts refused to be ignored and soon a headache was developing. Mekhala's tugging on her head soon became irritating.

'That's enough.' She said curtly.

Mekhala dropped her hands, stunned by her harsh tone. Ajiona had never spoken to her, to any of them, in that manner. 'But Devi...'

Ajiona tried to soften her tone but to little success. 'I'd like to go for a walk.'

Mekhala stepped back; her tone had changed from jovial to subdued 'Yes devi, we would prepare a shawl.'

Ajiona let out shuddering breaths and tried to calm her racing heart. 'No shawl Mekhala,' her voice softened a little and she attempted a smile but it came out as more of a grimace. 'I'll go alone if you don't mind.'

*

His father invited him for a game of chaturanga two hours before the festivities. The game would take place in lord Bijjaladeva's covered balcony. As Bhalla dressed, he wondered why his father suddenly summoned him to play a game; the message had been so abrupt, so out of the blues. They never played chaturanga, at least not often, Bijjaladeva was a weak player and the game mostly ended before it began. No, his father loved indulging himself in the pleasures of the flesh surrounded by his fawning sycophants, such pleasures that clouded and dulled the mind. Bhalla disapproved of it.