Chapter Twenty-Five

Rajkumari Isha appeared to hate her and Ajiona did not particularly care. If she would be truly honest with herself, she disliked Isha too. Something about the long limbed, thin-faced, sharp-tongued princess rubbed her the wrong way. Maybe it was partly the familiarity she had with Bhalla. They shared a relationship that went back years to the times of childhood, something Ajiona would never have with him. She saw them earlier today, as she walked down to the garden with Rudra in her arms. Bhalla seemed to be at ease with her, his face wasn't tightened up in a scowl. It put her in a black mood.

Now, Ajiona sat in a large covered palanquin with Rajkumari Isha, Tannaya and Unnika. Isha was regalling the others with her childhood tales, particular those in Mahishmathi.

‘...and at sunset, the waters are painted with beautiful colours. A Gulmohar tree stand right at the edge of the pond and it flames up in sunset. Tortoises swim lazily. I and Bhalla used to swing from the branches, playing monkeys. Then we'll play Bheema and Hanuman, taking turns.’ She slid a sly look at Ajiona.

Ajiona met her gaze. It was on the tip of her tongue to say: really? we read there together now, at sunset. Sometimes, we play each other songs on his tanpura. Yes, the one you bought for him. But she wasn't the kind to battle with a person over a man. Even if she thoroughly disliked the person. ...or maybe she disliked Isha partly because she thought she was beautiful.

Rajkumari was fair, thin-faced with high cheekbones and dewy doe-eyes, and a round plump mouth. She was tall with long legs and long neck and walked with easy grace that made Ajiona think she was clumsy.

Or maybe it was because of Isha's need to be at the centre of the attention. Yesterday had chafed her. She was used to all looking to her as the wonder, to have the attention diverted to someone who wasn't even of royal birth rubbed against her pride in the wrong way.

This trip had been a way to get the attention back on her. Ajiona had planned a horse ride to the river where they'll have picnic, but that had been momentarily shelved because Rajkumari Aanya was scared of her designated mount and refused to be coaxed unto the horse, it didn't matter the animal had been the gentlest. Aanya had almost broken down in tear when Isha stepped in and “suggested” they go into the city to shop. The other rajkumaris rallied around her eagerly, Aanya's breakdown had awoken their fears.  Isha puffed up gloatingly when they did.

Rajkumari Yasthi, Aanya and Virika had begged to be excused from the trip, citing illness. The Maharanis were having their queenly meetings, so Ajiona, Isha, Tannaya and Unnika were left to go on the trip.

‘How long have you been guest of the royal family, Ajiona?’ Isha asked.

‘Eleven months.’ Ajiona had decided to let Isha's subtle barbs go over her, she had more important things to worry about, like getting information out from Snigdha. The jealousy of a petulant child was no longer a concern of hers.

‘I heard the acting companies in Mahishmati are superb,’ Rajkumari Unnika ventured, ‘can't wait to see one of their plays. Have you seen one of the plays, lady Ajiona?’

‘Eleven months in Mahishmati, and you haven't sampled one of the wonders it has to offer?’ Isha was amused, a glint appeared in her eyes. ‘Yuvaraju Bhallaladeva and I went to watch one of their plays when I was twelve. We snuck out to watch it. It was at the city square, the play was about a brahmin woman who offended a yaksha and they took her children as punishment. So as penance, she has to perform some tasks before she got them back. Travelling bards and murmers do come through our kingdom and they perform for us. Such a shame our own companies’ can't match them.

‘Royal mother said there'll be plays at the final feast, after the yagna.  I wonder if it'll be something romantic,’ Unnika said with wistful smile.