S1, Ep. 8 - Death In An Envelope

Josie POV

The next morning, I thought over what James said, he told me that he was hanging late at night at Tobes as a destresser for school and play wise. Yet, I had a gut feeling he was lying since his voice sounded off. I turned over and saw an envelope with my full name on it. I got out of bed and grabbed it. I opened it and there were three pieces of paper.

I raised a brow and just held it in my hands and went to get ready as I just stared at it. "Morning.." I turn and see James, "Morning to you as well.." I put the envelope in my school bag. "So did you see anything in an envelope this morning?" his voice seemed nervous just like last night. "No..I didn't even read anything yet.." he laughed nervously. "Great! Can I have it back?" I raised a brow, "Why..", "I accidentally wrote a love letter for Claire in yours instead of hers..", "Then I will just give it to her myself.." his eyes widened, "Wait! No!" I left for school on my bike as he tried to catch up but seemed frazzled.

Whatever was in the envelope must be important and why he disappeared at night, though I have Eli photo evidence, I needed to hear it or see it from James. When I went to the bike rack, I saw Tobes waiting. "Hey Josie..", "Hey Tobes.." I headed to class while also looking for Claire.

James POV

"Morning.." I said and saw Josie, "Morning to you as well..", "So did you see anything in an envelope this morning?" I hope she didn't read about any of the trollhunters and trolls and goblins things I mentioned.  "No..I didn't even read anything yet.." I laughed nervously. "Great! Can I have it back?" She looked at me weird as she raised a brow, "Why..", "I accidentally wrote a love letter for Claire in yours instead of hers.." why did I just come up with that. "Then I will just give it to her myself.." my eyes widened, "Wait! No!" She left for school on her bike as I tried to catch up but seemed behind.

I totally forgot I did the same for Claire, I already got moms' and Tobes already knows and Claire believes me slightly. Now it's just getting Josies' back. "Josie! Wait!" As I was coming close to her, she already hooked her bike to the rack and talked with Tobes and was heading straight for Claire. "Hey Jimbo! Seems like Josie beat you yet again.."

"Yeah..Yeah..whatever..we need to stop her from giving Claire a 'love letter' I gave her in my death envelope." his eyes widened, "I thought you said you would come clean to her yesterday night.." I rolled my eyes, "I couldn't..Strickler was at my house for dinner with mom and Josie..what if he overheard our conversation..", "True..I'll take left and you take right.." I nodded as I hooked my bike to the rack and ran into the school. "Josie!" I yelled as I couldn't see her. If only I remembered her class schedule. 

Josie POV

I headed into Math class as Eli was next to me, "Someone seems down..", "What?" I looked at him. "Oh. No. I'm fine.." I pulled out the envelope. "Ooo, someone has a love letter,", "It's not for me though.." he raised a brow, "Its' for Claire..", "Yet your name is on the envelope.." I opened it to see what he exactly was saying to Claire.

I grabbed the first page as it was my drawing of the creature I saw.  "What the?" I turned it over as there was a sorry letter from James. "That's not a love letter..that's a sketch.." I nodded, "Yeah..a sketch I drew and Jim ripped up..", "weird.." Eli replied as I took out the second paper and it was about what Eli told me, I had photo proof and in writing. My brother was a hunter for trolls but what types are there? And the last page was a sketch of an amulet with the initials of Merlin on it. "You were right..", "About what.."

I showed him the stuff. "There is another world beneath our feet..of creatures unheard of.." he handed me back the stuff. "Woah..SO COOL!?!" I put it all away as I saw James walk in. "Can I help you Mr. Lake..", "Can I talk to Josephine for a second.." Ms. Janeth looked at him, "Only for a minute since class starts soon.." I walked towards him with crossed arms. I didn't know if I should lie back saying I didn't read it even though I did. "So can I have the letter back.." I sighed, "Fine.." I gave it to him, "You opened it?!"

"No it was already open..now if you excuse me, I got to finish math and run lines with Steve.." he looked at me, "Steve..Okay I know he has the lead now but why not study with Eli, or Claire or even better me, your own brother!" I laughed, "Once you tell Claire about you liking her, I'll study lines with you.." I turned as I could hear him sigh, "Fine.." I saw him walking away, but wasn't towards class. "Ms. Lake if you can take your seat.."

I hear Mrs. Janeth said as I looked at her, "I'll be right back, Family issues.." I followed him down the hallway, "Where are you going.." I mumbled as I saw him talking with Tobes and he was holding the letter. Does Tobes know? What am I saying, of course he knows, Tobes knows everything. 

James POV

"Can I help you Mr. Lake..", "Can I talk to Josephine for a second.." Ms. Janeth looked at me, "Only for a minute since class starts soon.." She walked towards me with crossed arms. I just hope she didn't read the letter, "So can I have the letter back.." She sighed, it was the only way to protect her and mom from Gunmar.

"Fine.." She gave it to me as I smiled but then frowned as I noticed it wasn't sealed, "You opened it?!", "No it was already open..now if you excuse me, I got to finish math and run lines with Steve.." I looked at her weird, "Steve..Okay I know he has the lead now but why not study with Eli, or Claire or even better me, your own brother!" She laughed, "Once you tell Claire about you liking her, I'll study lines with you.." I turned as I sigh, "Fine.." I walked away and towards the abandoned hallway where I was meeting Tobes.

"I'm telling you Tobes..she knows something about it..why else would she draw Strickler in his changeling form..", "Maybe she has an imagination unlike you who sees everything so literally.." I rolled my eyes, "that or she's been with Eli for the past day and half..", "that could be true..so how did Claire take the news.." I told him good as she was now part of the crew. "Now you just got to come clean to Josie..", "I know..but I'm afraid if I tell her, she will either be like you know 'yeah right' and or tell mom about it."

I groaned, "Why does it have to be complicated.." I opened the letter I wrote to her as the amulet blueprints slipped out. "Oh I'm in so much trouble.." Tobes looked at me, "What do you mean?", "If Josie read the letter..then she also saw this.." I gave him the blue prints. "Are you trying to play the death letter..", "No! But Josie would never know anything about Merlin and the past stuff..history is both our worst subject.."

Josie POV

After listening in on their conversation, I headed to Strickler's classroom as he had a free period. I knocked on the door, and he looked at me. "We have met yet again Josephine..", "Can I ask you a question.." I said as he welcomed me in. "Of course..what is it..", "Who's Merlin?" He had dropped his pen, "Merlin? Well he was a wizard back in the camelot days..", "and that's all...he didn't create anything.." he looked at me weird. "Take a seat Ms. Lake.."

I took a seat, "Merlin just created like potions and everything like a normal wizard would do..", "So nothing else like no amulet of some kind.." his eyes widened, "an amulet..can you describe what you mean?" I looked at him strangely, "I could draw it but I don't know how to describe it.." he gave me a piece of paper, "Let's rekindle once you make a sketch.." I nodded.