Late Night

It didn't really matter how long we were out or how far we were from the house, as long as we came back in one piece. I was anxious either way though. We had no way of knowing if Charlie was awake or not. Plus I forgot to leave my room window open as a second option if he was. My fingers wrapped around the piece of paper, as I tried to contain my nervousness. "What if mom or Charlie finds out about this..." I mumbled. Last time Charlie found out about me being involved with a boy, he locked me in my room for weeks. I don't even want to know what he'll do to me if he finds out again. "They won't." Josh simply stated. I glanced at him, wondering why he was so chill about this. Ever since Charlie punished him, he never crossed his boundaries again. He doesn't even talk bad about them in fear that Charlie would overhear.

When we got back to the house, all the lights were off except for Mom and Charlie's room. It was probably twelve by the time we reached the house. We didn't have any house keys; Charlie prohibited us from having house keys. Josh hesitated in front of the door, not knowing what to expect. Normally when we come home late at night Charlie would lock the doors, leaving us to find shelter ourselves. It was no big deal since we had Lisa's place to crash at until morning, but here we didn't know anybody. Josh slowly turned the knob, as quietly as he can, until it couldn't turn anymore. He waited a few seconds before finally pushing open the door and entering the house. It seems that Mom was able to sneak out of her room to unlock the door for us this time. I smiled at her gesture, already knowing that she was trying to apologise to Josh. "Mom came through this time." Josh mumbled. I could tell that he was happy by the way he smiled. That made me want to run into Mom and Charlie's room and hug them both for making Josh smile a real smile. "Yeah." I hit his shoulder softly as I walked past him towards my room, "let's get some sleep. We need to get to the school early tomorrow." Josh nodded in agreement with a small smile. He was finally in a good mood which made me actually want to go hug Mom and Charlie. I side hugged him before walking into my room, "Goodnight big bro." His smile got even bigger. I closed my door once Josh closed his and literally ran and jumped on my bed. I tossed and turned for an hour, worrying about tomorrow, "Ugh, new school," I groaned, "new me." I closed my eyes, letting my exhaustion crash, and knocked out.