Maxi - Sexism

Lucy’s POV:

I am a Lilliane’s down at Bondi Beach and I enjoy being a lifeguard. I have only been working here for less than 2 weeks now and I love it. I have been really busy rescuing people and I hardly get to stop because of the wave of people that decide to go out into the water.

It is randomly quiet today but it might be because it was extremely windy today. I was down the south end of the beach with Maxi. We didn’t have anything to do so we just sat there and talked for a while, whilst we were waiting for something to happen. At the moment we were just talking about random things but all of a sudden I saw someone's hand shoot up far out in the water. I don’t think Maxi saw the hand because he didn’t move so I quickly took off my top, grabbed the rescue board and ran out into the water.

It took me around about a minute or longer before I could get out to the person because the water was extremely choppy because of the wind but once I got out to them I saw that it was a man there, so I sat up straight on the board and said: “Climb on.”

“No,” he said. “I don’t want a female helping me.”

“Sir, you needed help so I came,” I said to him.

“You can’t do a man’s job,” he said.

“Just get on. I’m not going to ask again,” I said to him.

“Fine but I don’t like this,” he said. He then climbed onto the board and I brought him back to the shore.

Once we got back, I got off the board and then started making my way back over to the buggy but all of a sudden the man runs in front of me and all I feel is a hand colliding with my cheek. I see the man standing there with his hand moving back down to his side. “You shouldn’t be doing a man’s job.”

“Sir, as I said before, I’m just trying to do my job,” I said to him.

“Women shouldn’t be lifeguards. That’s a man’s job. Women should be at home looking after their children,” he said angrily.

“Who are you to say what women can and can’t do. This is a job for men and women,” I said. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that Maxi was making his way down from the buggy to see what was going on.

Before I could say anything else, the guy punched me and knocked me to the ground. He managed to punch me a few more times before I didn’t feel anyone on top of me anymore. I quickly opened my eyes to see that Maxi tackled him to the ground. I saw that he managed to drop his radio close to me so I reached over to it and then said “Lucy to tower.”

“Go on Lucy,” I heard from the radio.

“I need you to call the police. Maxi had to tackle a guy to the floor,” I said.

“What. Why?” I heard.

“I had to go rescue him but he refused to get on the board because I was a woman but he eventually did and then when we got back up to the beach he then slapped me and then started saying what women can and can’t do,” I said.

Before I could finish what I was saying they said “Why do you need the police then?”

“Well, if you didn’t interrupt me then I would tell you why. He then proceeded to punch me which knocked me to the sand and then proceeded to punch me several times more,” I said. I then quickly put one of my hands to my face as I felt something sticky on it. I then removed my hand and saw that I was bleeding. “And I am bleeding.”

“Ok. Deano is calling the police now,” they said.

“Thanks, Chap. I should get up now and help Maxi,” I said. I then threw the radio on the sand and quickly got up and ran over to Maxi. I saw that he managed to get the guy to stop moving.

Around 5 minutes later the police arrived and took him to the station. Once the police left Maxi turned to me and then said “Are you alright? You took quite the beating.”

“Yeah, I’m alright,” I said.

I then saw Maxi walk off quickly and then a few minutes later Maxi walked back to me and said “Come on. We’re going up to the tower. Deano and Chappo are going to take over this end. We’re going to stay up in the tower so I can keep an eye on you.” Maxi and I then got back into the buggy and we drove up to the tower. When we got there, Deano and Chappo quickly hopped into the buggy and drove off while we walked up the steps into the tower. Maxi then sat me down and cleaned my face.

I then spent the rest of the day up in the tower leaning on Maxi while we were watching the water.

------------

Thanks for reading this chapter and thank you to XXlucyXX234 for the request. This chapter took me longer to write than normal as I have been working over the weekend and I have needed to do homework and revise for the mock exams that I have at the end of the week. But I found time as I decided to write this in my free period at college.

From

Nicci