chapter 04

MARCELLA SAT IN HER CAR, A MAP OPEN IN HER LAP

She placed an 'X' in black marker over Brookhaven. Most places have been picked off by looters.

It had been over a month since the world went to shit. Marcella had been sticking to the suburbs outside the city, trying to find out where the safe zone was at.

She hadn't had much luck so far.

She also hadn't ran into people yet either. At least, not any that had a chance. She had stumbled upon a few people who were getting mauled, but there was no point in trying to save them. They were goners.

Marcie was going to push into the city more, but she didn't want to do it by car. It didn't take her long to figure out that noise attracts these things.

She stopped in a little neighbourhood, trying to find a place to hole up for a while to get some rest before going into the city.

She went up to one of the houses, her knife ready. Marcie knocked on the door loudly, waiting for any movement before going inside.

The brunette checked behind every door, learning her lesson from the first house a month ago. When she found nothing, she set down her pack and sighed, sitting on the couch.

Marcie reached into her pack to pull out some beef jerky she found a few houses back. She bit off a chunk and leaned back on the couch.

She wished she could have at least one more decent conversation with a human being. Otherwise she might forget how to talk.

Suddenly, a gun shot went off. Marcella jumped to her feet and rushed towards the window. Outside, there were two men standing above someone on the ground, one of them aiming their gun at him.

"Dammit." Marcie grabbed her bag and her gun before stepping outside, "Hey!" She aimed her gun at the older man, "Are you trying to attract every one of those biters here or are you just stupid?!"

"He's bit!" The black male told her,

Marcie glanced down at the man laying on the steps. He was wearing a hospital gown that was open, revealing his bandaged wound.

"He's wearing a hospital gown." Marcie stated,

"So?" He asked,

"So... hospitals were the first to go down. And no one would willingly wear those ugly things. Meaning he's been in the hospital since the beginning. It can't be a bite wound, he would've turned already."

The man on the ground glanced up at her for a moment before passing out completely.

Marcie sighed, "And now that he's unconscious, go ahead and check it." The man and the boy stared at her, "Go on... check the wound." She urged while putting her gun back into her waistband,