chapter 42

VIVIAN HAD A TIGHT GRIP ON LIAM AS THEY STEPPED OUT ONTO THE PORCH,

Lori and Carol came out with her after making sure Carl wasn't inside,

"I checked the shed. I can't find him anywhere." Lori panicked,

"Not in the cellar or the attic." Carol continued,

"Why can't he listen for once?" Lori groaned in frustration before they walked towards the edge of the porch, "Ok okay, if he followed his daddy, he went that way." She pointed towards the barn,

"No, you'll lead 'em right to him." Vivian told her, "We can't stay here, Lori!"

"That's my boy!" She sobbed,

The younger woman grabbed Lori's arm, "Hey, listen to me. Carl's a smart boy. If he went to find his dad, he's with him. You're gonna have to trust. And if we find him, he's gonna need his mother. We've gotta go." She turned to Carol, "Get the others."

Beth and Patricia joined them on the porch, Beth gripping Liam's diaper bag. Lori held her gun, firing at any walkers that were getting close.

Liam began crying and Vivian tried to comfort him, "You gotta be quiet, baby." She whispered to him before grabbing her knife with her free hand,

"Hershel, it's time to go!" Lori yelled out to the farmer,

Vivian wasn't sure if Hershel couldn't hear them or was just ignoring them. But it didn't matter. They needed to leave.

She needed to keep Liam safe,

"We gotta go. We gotta get out of here." Vivian stated.

Carol took the lead while Vivian was in between her and Lori. Beth and Patricia took up the end. Vivian heard screaming and turned to see walkers all over Patricia, blood flying. The dying woman had a grip on Beth, and she couldn't escape it.

Vivian handed Liam off to Lori before grabbing Beth and pulling her away.

As sad as it was, loosing Patricia, it also gave them a fighting chance. The walkers were distracted by feeding on her.

The blue pick up truck pulled up in front of them and Andrea jumped out, "Get in!"

Vivian gently pushed the three of them into the cab of the truck, "Where's Carol?"

"She went that way!" Lori pointed towards the chicken coop.

Andrea began firing at the walkers and Vivian jumped into the truck bed, taking her gun out. Walkers quickly approached them and Vivian shot at them,