chapter 75

VIVIAN FOLLOWED AFTER RICK THROUGH THE TREES,

They came across a rabbit or squirrel every once in a while, and Rick stuffed it in a bag before resetting the trap.

"Just give him time." Rick stated, "He'll forgive you."

"I don't blame him." Vivian sighed as she stepped over a log, "I shouldn't have said those things to him. I just... god, watching him shoot that kid, killing him. He's still a kid himself." She paused and looked over at Rick, "Once you have that first kill... there's no going back."

Vivian had yet to kill a living person, she's not sure she could do it. In the heat of the moment, if it was kill or be killed, she was confident she could pull the trigger.

But staring the person down, watching the life leave their eyes... jut like Carl did... she's not sure if she could do it.

Rick paused and reached a hand out to her to make her stop as well. Vivian followed his gaze, staring down at a dead wild hog that laid yards away, flies surrounding it.

Movement caught their eye to the right, and Rick grabbed Vivian's arm to pull her behind a tree. Her back was pressed against the bark as Rick stepped close to her front, trying to conceal them.

She felt his breath against her cheek and her heart beat skyrocketed. He was standing so close, and her first instinct was to fist the fabric that bunched at his waistband.

Vivian kept her eyes on his chest, now embarrassed. Rick stared down at her for a moment before peeking out past the tree.

At first glance, it seemed to be a walker heading towards the hog. As it kneeled down beside the rotting animal, Rick reached down to remove Vivian's hands from his shirt before they began to step away quietly.

But the 'walker' caught the movement.

"Wait."

The two paused and made eye contact with each other. It was a living, breathing person.

"Please."

She was foreign, and she sounded desperate. Vivian knew she couldn't resist and turned to look back at the woman who was staring at them with her wide blue eyes.

The apocalypse hadn't been kind to the woman. She was skinny, and her skin was covered in dirt. Her hair hadn't been washed in a long time.

"Please?" The woman begged, her hand raised towards them, "Please, help me." The two shared a look and waited for her to continue, "I know you don't know me. Okay, I know that. But can you please help me get this to my husband?" She motioned to the pig, "We haven't eaten in days."