chapter 119

VIVIAN TRIED TO REMAIN CALM.

But it was easier said than done.

Nicholas fired the flare, causing a red hue to fill the warehouse. It distracted most of the walkers, sending them to the opposite side of the building.

They got to Aiden and began to assess the situation, like how to get him off the spikes without killing him,

One was through his shoulder, while another in his side. It was clear it didn't puncture any organs since he wasn't dead yet.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. We're gonna get you out of here." Glenn comforted him, "All right? Everything's gonna be okay. I need you to stay quiet, okay? Can you do that?" 

Aiden nodded and the three of them grabbed onto him, ready to lift him off,  while Noah kept watch, "One, two, three."

He began to scream as they moved him, and Vivian didn't blame him. She was sure he was in a lot of pain.

"The flare. It's burning out." Noah informed them,

The walkers would be coming back at any moment.

Nicholas began to back away and Vivian turned to him, "Come on. Come on, again."

He shook his head, "We're not gonna make this."

Glenn pulled him back, "Hey, yes, we are. But we need your help. You can do this."

"Nick. Nick, don't- don't leave me." Aiden begged his friend.

Noah began shooting rotters while the other three tried to pull Aiden off the spikes, "Almost there, almost there." Vivian kept telling herself.

Nicholas leaned close to Aiden's ear, "You left them. We both did. That's who we are." He pulled away, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Vivian's eyes widened as she watched the coward run away, "Hey!" Glenn got her attention, "We gotta do this now!"

She nodded and before they could pull again, Aiden spoke, "Okay, it was- it was us. The others before. They didn't panic. We did. It was us."

"You were scared, and that's okay." Vivian told him, "We all get scared. I'm scared right now, but we're not gonna leave you." She went to pull him again but he stopped her,

"No."

"They're here!" Noah pulled them away and Vivian struggled in his arms, 

"No!" She wasn't gonna be the one to tell Deanna.