Chapter 9: The misunderstanding

"Seriously Anna, I just wanted to swap trousers!"

Leo looks at the expressionless tutor one last time, before bellowing out his cheeks and puffing out a jet of air. "Just get it done." He pep talks to himself, as his hands reach forwards towards the shiny buckled belt.

The leather is stiff and uncompromising as Leo tries his level best to pull the belt back through itself. He continues for a time, still trying, by feel alone, eyes screwed closed before admitting defeat and opening his eyes, looking down upon what should be a simple task.

Leo gulps down hard as he finds himself having to lower himself down to eye level with the belt, now seeing a plastic tag laced between the belt and the trousers, as a reminder that The PT was in fact a doll of sorts, fresh out the box.

Try as he might, Leo cannot pull apart the tag with his fingers, resulting in him having to lean forward and use his teeth. He screws his eyes closed once again as his teeth scissor through the plastic, the tag finally breaking, as Leo drops it to the floor.

He is now able to loosen the belt and carefully pulls it apart to reveal a button and zipper. As he slowly undoes the clasp, still at eye level, Leo suddenly hears the sound of the bathroom door opening...

"Leo...are you still in here?" Anna's voice can be heard... she had entered the male's bathroom!

Leo hurries to standing, but to his horror, it's too late. Anna stands, mouth open in shock, glaring at Leo, who still for some reason had his fingers attached to the waistband of The PTs trousers. "Oh....oh my God Leo!" Anna's face was hard to decipher, going from complete shock, to a giddy laugh to disgust in the space of a millisecond. She turns fast on her heels, not even giving Leo the chance to utter a word.

"No...no no no...wait, please! It's not what it looks like!" Leo hurriedly retracts his hands, trying to catch up with Anna, leaving an emotionless statue behind in the bathroom, trousers half undone.

Leo eventually manages to get close enough to pull at Anna's shoulder, enabling him to pull her around to face him.

"Get off me you pervert!" She says in a raised voice, batting his outstretched arm away. The commotion causes one or two people to look over at them.

"You need to let me explain." Leo repeats, trying to catch his breath.

Anna now folds her arms in front of her, resting her weight over to one side of her standing position. "Go on then... explain." She says, that hint of hysteria in her voice.

Leo opens his mouth, but nothing comes out. He doesn't know where to start. Should it be, he was changing his jeans with The PT because The PT can't feel the uncomfortable wetness against its silicone thighs, because The PT is in fact not his cousin but his android tutor, who was here because Leo didn't really want to be alone with the girl? It was the truth, but did that even make any sense?

"Shall I tell you what I think?" The prolonged silence caused by Leo filled once again with Anna's voice.

"W...what?" Leo asks nervously, as he begins to twiddle his fingers together.

"You were gonna suck off your cousin." She says, raising an eyebrow.

"He's...he's not my cousin." Leo blurts out on the defence.

"So...who is he then?" Anna again stood up straight, tightening her folded arms.

"My PT." He mumbles, looking embarrassingly at his feet.

Anna can't help but laugh out loud. "You have a tutor and you decided to..." She can't even finish the sentence with sheer shock.

"Seriously Anna, I was just wanting to swap trousers...I swear!" Leo can now feel himself pleading, begging for her to understand.

Her posture relaxes slightly, with Leo thinking he has gotten over the misunderstanding, before Anna's demeanor is being replaced with squinting eyes. She stares at Leo. "Why did you bring your PT on a date?"

Leo is again lost for words. He had said more than enough to Anna already, without blundering on about needing a third wheel because of how awkward he felt about her advances. "Can...can I just make it up to you somehow?" He pleads. He knows that this will most definitely not end well, but cannot run the risk of rumours invading the school about tutors and bathrooms and compromising situations.

Anna takes her time to reply to this, her eyes again assessing Leo as if working out a bargain or a strategy. "The winter prom..." She suddenly says. "Ask me to the winter prom and I will keep this tutor thing quiet."

"But...isn't that like blackmail?" Leo looks at the girl in front of him. It was true that he didn't feel romantic towards her, but he didn't have her down as a schemer.

"Call it what you want. That's the deal. You ask me to the winter prom in front of everyone, or I will tell the school you mes around with your fake cousin...you decide."

***

That night Leo tosses and turns in bed, not being able to get the events of the day out of his mind. His avoidance of declaring how he actually felt, his plan, the experiment as he had referred it to The PT as, had now backfired completely.

He looks over at his dormant tutor standing emotionless, still partially wearing Leo's clothes. Leo thought better to just hurry home in wet jeans than chance another intruder entering the bathroom in the process.

A small smile curls in the corner of his lips and a rye chuckle leaves his mouth at The PT questioning why he hadn't needed to change after all and why, after Leo had told his tutor the half truth about having to ask her on a date to the prom, (leaving out the potential misunderstanding), it replied that he and Anna seemed incompatible according to its data. His tutor was telling Leo nothing he didn't know already.