Kabanata 16

"Who do you think is the most intelligent being, existing as of today?"

I pressed my lips unto each other and smile when someone immediately came in my mind. Someone who's not getting tired of lending me ears whenever my parents' are failing to do so.

"Thank you for that question." I smiled at the master of the ceremony.

"Some might answer, its the scientists. But if I were to ask who is the most intelligent being I have ever known, that would be Him, the one who's above. We wouldn't be able to live and witness how bountiful and fascinating the paradise is if not for his intelligence."

I shifted my weight as I squared my shoulders to stand straight and confidently delivered my answer. "And there's nothing to witness in the first place if he's not intelligent enough to create all of these. Thank you."

I smiled when I remembered what I answered earlier. This is the first time that I joined pageant and even a few minutes after, the flattering feeling is still etched in my insides. I don't think it will vanish anytime soon.

"You should be the winner!" Chaileigh shrieked as we met halfway of the hallway.

I slowly shook my head, smile is still carved in my lips. "First runner up is not bad and the moment Ate Dree answered, I already knew she will win."

I didn't even expect to become one of the runner-ups. Lots of candidates were great, especially the college students.

She pursed her lips and let I out a loud smirk as I know, somehow, she agreed on me but she won't admit it because that's how supportive she is as my friend.

Bahagya akong napailing at unti-unting nauwi sa isang ngiti ang aking ngisi.

"Still, you're the winner," she muttered proudly.

"Your trophy's waiting outside by the way," pabirong sambit niya at wala mang binanggit ay alam ko na agad ang tinutukoy niya.

The loud chattering sounds around subsides when my teenage heart thumped wildly as my eyes enlarged at the thought of my boyfriend waiting for me outside the Livies University.

I immediately turned to the direction where the exit is located and started finding it from the crowd. Narinig ko ang bungisngis ni Chaileigh habang nakasunod sa akin.

Ngunit napahinto ako nang makita ang boyfriend ni Cha. He's looking at our direction and now walking near us.

Siniko ko si Chaileigh sa aking tabi na mukhang hindi napansin ang papalapit sa akin. "Jack's here."

I glanced at her over my shoulder and I caught how her eyes widened as she scanned the place to look for her boyfriend.

"Ayon, oh." I pointed Jack's direction. Diretso sa aking kaibigan ang mga mata niya habang si Chaileigh naman ay hindi na mapakali sa aking tabi.

"Oh my God! May gagawin pa nga pala 'ko, Ry."

"I thought we're going home--" Dali-dali niya akong tinalikuran at nagtungo sa direksyon palayo sa papalapit niyang boyfriend.

Kumunot ang aking noo dahil sa inakto niya. And when her boyfriend stopped in front of me, I faced him with confusion still plastered in my face.

"Rylli," Jack greeted. Bakas rin ang pagtataka sa kanyang mga mata. "Saan pupunta si Cha? Is she avoiding me?"

Marahan akong napailing. "May gagawin pa raw. I don't know if there's something wrong between the two of you but you should talk to her."

Unti-unti siyang napatango habang ang mga mata ay nasa direksyong tinungo ni Chaileigh.