Kabanata 22

Few minutes after the Ynareses went out of our mansion, Maverick and Spencer bid their goodbyes too.

Mav and Spence wanted to stay because they will still talk to me but when mom started crying silently, that's when they decided to leave. They said it's supposed to be a family thing.

Ni hindi ko man lang naihatid sa labas ang dalawa dahil na rin sa pagkabigla nang marinig ang pigil na hikbi ni mommy kasabay ng pag-alog ng kanyang mga balikat.

She's my mother and we've been in the same household since I was born, I never saw her cry. She's not expressive, especially to us, her sons and daughter. She's always heartless. She always wants us to follow whatever she said to the point that it feels suffocating. She's always strict, a perfectionist, manipulative.

I thought she's normally like that. I mean, akala ko ganoon lang talaga siya. I used to see her as a worst mother.

Reason why I didn't expect her to believe me when I told them I was raped by Draven, a son their friend. She didn't even ask me for a proof. She... believe my words.

And right now, as I watch her weep, I'm doubting everything I used to think about her.

She's not heartless, she only needs to be tough, to become firm, because she's a mother. She's not strict, she only wants to protect her family. She's not expressive... because maybe she doesn't know how to express her emotions.

She's a perfectionist and manipulative but maybe, it's because that's what she thought that is best for us. She only wants the best for her family.

I suddenly remember when she confronted Maverick when we were still young. She caught me outside the house and I'm with Maverick. She told him to stay away from me as he is a son of a rapist and she even said Mav might rape me like what his father did to his mom.

She's that blunt. Her words, it really stings. At siguro, roon ako natututo noong bata ako. Her hurtful words made me refrain myself from doing the same mistake.

And she only wants to protect me.
I'm only five years old that time if I'm not mistaken. At kung ganoong tao nga si Maverick, katulad ng sinasabi ni Mommy, wala akong laban kung gagawan niya ako ng masama. But I know Maverick, he won't do it no matter what. Kahit sa ibang babae man ay hindi niya gagawin iyon.

"Amaryllis, you're hurting your mother. Tell me, about what you said earlier, is that true?"

Mataman kong nilingon ang direksyon ni Daddy, sa ginawang 'yon ay nahagip ng aking paningin ang mga mata ni Fritz na nakatutok sa akin. With my lips pressed, I gave him a smile before turning to dad.

Napakurap ako nang magtama ang aming mga mata.

"Is that true?" His brows creased a bit just by asking. "I know you, you've become stubborn the past few years. And about what you said earlier? That's not a good joke. This might ruin our family's relationship with the Ynareses."

He really asked me that? He think I'm lying? How I wish I really am just kidding. But I'm not. I won't lie when it comes to things like this!

"I'm not lying, Dad." As much as I want to shout for doubting me, I choose to answer him calmly because he's talking to me in a calm way which is new because we're always either shouting or hissing at each other everytime we're talking, but I made my voice firm to make him feel my sincerity.

He angled his jaw. "Amaryllis," he called using a warning tone.

I let out a low chuckle. "Do you wanna know when did it happened?"

No one answered but I know all of them were listening, waiting for me to continue.

"It was seven years ago when you're pushing me to marry Draven. I told all of you, I have a boyfriend but you didn't listen."