|| 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗. ||

« -- ❈ -- »

[ 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚖𝚢𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚎 𝚖𝚎 ]

is there somewhere // halsey

« -- ❈ -- »

It felt silly, dressing up as such for some party thrown by her potions professor. Yet the Slug Club was so elusive, a level of respectability and humor as most people knew it was incredibly ridiculous, but all were jealous of those invited in. 

It was Regulus of course who had the invite, having been a member for years. Even with the rumors swirling, Slughorn hadn't rescinded Regulus's invitation, perhaps not wanting to believe the rumors or was reluctant to let go of the Black heir. Whatever reason, Jocelin was being dragged along to the Christmas party, the first she knew of Regulus attending altogether. But Jocelin agreed to go, dawning a simple black dress with delicate lace-detailing. It felt odd, to be so dressed up to go see her other classmates, but Hettie had insisted. 

Regulus was already waiting for her in the common room, wearing his best robes of emerald and black. Jocelin couldn't stop the smile or her heart from swooning. His dark curls where styled away from his face, making him look even more handsome than normal. He met her with a smile, his arm outstretched as he guided her away. 

It was dazzling, especially for it being Slughorn's office. Decorations dawned every corner, there were people from the ministry, authors, professional quidditch players all mingling with the students. Immediately Jocelin was overwhelmed, yet Regulus kept her close to his side, his hand offering tight squeezes of reassurance. 

As she turned around to take a drink from a house elf, finally feeling a bit more at ease, she  came face-to-face with Marlene. She didn't even try to hide her hatred for her, the piercing eyes of disgust. Oh how Jocelin wished she could respond in a similar vein, to set a coldness in her eyes that kept people at bay. And yet, she was always the one to divert her gaze, weak among her friends. The other said nothing but turned away, getting lost in the crowd of party goers. Jocelin felt her lungs constrict, as if wanting to keep oxygen away from her. She turned to find Regulus again, giving weak smiles to a 7th year who only brushed by her. 

And as if sensing her distress, he was there at her side, slipping a glass in her hand. 

"It'll help, trust me." He nodded as he threw his own back and Jocelin followed, feeling a sense of warmth and ease tingle through her blood. Before she could question, he had another one for her and she obeyed, drinking the rest until suddenly everything felt easy, like it had that night at Malfoy Manor. 

"Follow me." Regulus pulled her out of the party and down the corridor, both of them giggly from what she could only assume was the spiked punch. 

"Reg, where are we going?" She whispered, the unfamiliar feeling of excitement bubbling in her chest. 

"Trust me." He smiled, and she did, whole-heartedly. The moonlight poured through the windows and she realized he was taking her up the astronomy tower. 

"What if we get caught?" 

"A little detention never hurt." It felt out of character, as new side of the both of them. A secret only they could confide to each other. 

He pulled her close as they gazed out the window, the stars brilliant above them. 

"That's Orion's Belt." He pointed first, tracing it with his fingers.