|| 𝚜𝚒𝚡. ||

« -- ❈ -- » 

[ 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚎 𝚊 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚠𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚑𝚢 ]

sleeping on the blacktop // colter wall

« -- ❈ -- » 

Even in his dreams he couldn't find comfort. There weren't windows to stream in sunlight like most the other houses - and briefly he wondered if this contributed to the darkness of his dreams. 

Turning over Regulus let out a sigh as he debated falling back to sleep or not. The other boys in the room stirred, as if facing the same dilemma. If his dreams offered more solace he would gladly return to them, but they didn't. So he parted the drapes around his bed and made peace with being an early riser.  

It seemed that he wasn't alone. It was just a quarter to six and as he entered the common room, being sure to straighten his robes he was surprised to see Augustus Avery facing the fire, eyes blank towards the flames. What was it with these Avery's and fire? 

"G'morning Avery." Regulus called out, startling the sixth year who gave a nod, making sure he tugged down the his sleeves so they touched the center of his palms. It was simple gesture that wasn't missed by the young Black. There were more instances of those movements in his life these days. A wave of pride and fear followed, it was a good thing right? For them all to be making the brave and right choices in life. Hell, maybe they should have been Gryffindor's after all. But the thought of dawning gold and scarlet was enough to make his stomach turn. 

"Have a good Christmas Black?" Avery finally replied, his eyes drifting to the empty chair at his side. Taking the invitation Regulus seated himself in it. 

"Quite so, as good as it is at ours anyway." He mused with a half-smile. Good was not a word he would choose to describe his life at home. "Yourself?"

"Yes." The other nodded curtly, leaning back into the chair and propping his ankle across his knee. Words didn't have to be exchanged to know what was happening, what Avery was doing. None of them talked about it much, it was too dangerous. By all accounts they weren't supposed to know anything. Regulus knew what he was and what he was to do, Avery would be the same. But even behind the masks of silence, there was no denying the truth. 

"Ran into your cousin, Bellatrix, she and Rodolphus seem to be well off. Will you be at the wedding?" It seemed like a simple enough coincidence, their families talked and frequented the same places. But Regulus glanced back at the sleeve that Avery pulled down yet again and knew better than to probe further. One day, one day he would. 

"Unfortunately she has a funny sense of humor and has planned it in the midst of our O.W.Ls. Have to make sure I bring home a satisfactory amount." That was the only explanation that was needed.