|| 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝. ||

« -- ❈ -- » 

[ 𝙰𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚋𝚎 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗 ]

devil's spoke // laura marling

« -- ❈ -- » 

The sign was posted for the Hogsmeade sign-up, the last one of the year. Quickly the third year's jotted down their names. Everyone else waited lazily; exams were soon approaching and no one really had the time to spare from studying to go to a town that had lost its sparkle after the third trip. 

Still, Jocelin craved a nice warm butterbeer, and figured she could find a nice gift or dress for Narcissa and Lucius's wedding that summer. In reality, she just wanted a distraction, from school, her sister, her parents, all of it. Hogsmeade seemed like the perfect one.

Part of her hoped she could convince Regulus to join her on the trip. But as fate had it, he declined to go as he argued that he desperately needed to start studying. So Jocelin went alone, unable to tear Hettie off of Alexander for the walk down. 

She figured it would be best to head into The Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer, and maybe she could take to some leisurely reading in the corner to spend a bit of time before browsing for a dress. She turned into the pub, delighted with her plan. It was then that she noted just how poor her luck was, because huddled in the corner she had wanted to cozy up in was none other than her sister, Marlene, Sirius, and Remus. Potter and Pettigrew were notably missing from the foursome, as well as few others Jocelin knew Delilah hung around but tried not to pay much attention to. It only hurt. Her face fell as the sight and she instinctively hugged her arms around her, wishing to disappear into the small crowd of people.

Somehow she approached that side of the bar, feeling her sisters piercing stare upon the back of her neck. Please don't talk to me, you never do. She begged in her mind, wishing for some power of legilimency to keep her away. 

"Jocelin." There it was, sisters voice. It was calm, but defiant as if daring her to turn around. She did, only to have Sirius meet her with gritted teeth. It was obviously that Delilah was testing her, prodding at the instructions given to her, not even needing the note to know what Mira and Angus would say to Jocelin. She smiled at her younger sister and she was frozen in place. Delilah was just baiting her. At that, Jocelin barely noticed as Marlene pulled her hand away from Delilah, dropping it in her lap instead. 

She kept her eyes on Sirius, wanting to tell him that Regulus missed him, that he told Kreacher to give him updates on him. That they could still make up, that Regulus wasn't who everyone thought he was. That he could come back. That she could come back. If they just accepted what they were told. 

But instead she looked at them, unmoving, knowing her eyes were glossy with the same sad startled look they always held. Delilah always made it a point to tease her for it.