Adventure No. 6 "Hard Truths" Chapter 1

"Good work you four. I am quite pleased with your performance in this exercise. You all did well and had good coordination during the exercise." Fritz Mahler concluded his thoughts on the latest exercise the 3rd cruiser squadron had held. "You all are dismissed and free to do what you like until the next exercise which is due on Thursday." He dismissed them. The young engineer had waited for his friend to dismiss the three cruisers and the carrier before he stepped closer to him. "Hello Fritz." He greeted his friend, the now base commander of Wesermünde. "Hey. How are you holding up? Any issues with the riggings?" Asked his friend in return. The young engineer shook his head. "Not with them. Only the wear and tear of increased exercises, nothing one can't fix. I am here to talk with you about the situation in the docks though. After all, you wanted my assesment now that I have been working with your guys for a month." Explained the young engineer. "Yes, you are right. How are the engineers of the research department holding up, now that they actually have to lay their hands on working machinery?" Fritz asked his friend. "So far so good. They are doing well enough. Their practical problem solving is still not what it could be but for that I am here after all. The new recruits that were sent from Wilhelmshaven and Papenburg are also learning quickly. They are getting used to working on living rigging as well. Hipper mostly works on her rigging herself while I can focus mostly on that of Prinz Eugen." The young engineer explained. "So I guess your conclusion would be that with more practice the engineers and maintenance team can improve on their work and efficiency to reach a high standard with less time consumed?" He asked the young engineer. The latter nodded. "That sounds good. Thank you for your assessment." Fritz ended. The young engineer smiled at his friend but left him be. The young engineer knew that he had more than his fair share of work to do.

Returning to the docks, he was once more taken back by how busy it was in the bunker now. He was still not used to the docks being so lively. Engineering ensigns and researchers walked around, talked about issues and test results, peaked into the dockspaces of Prinz Eugen and Admiral Hipper and quickly returned to the dock spaces of Mainz and Weser. Walking past them he could see through the open door to dock number 1 Hipper working on her rigging and chasing off those ensigns foolish enough to pester her. Arriving at cruiser dock 2 he entered and was surprised by half a dozen researchers and ensigns walking around in his and Prinz Eugens workshop. To his relief they all had learned the lesson to stay away from the rigging of other Shipgirls they did not know. It took Hippers and Prinz Eugens rigging only three incidents in the last four weeks to make everyone understand that they were not to be touched or worked on without their permission. Seeing the young engineer, the other people in the workshop turned to him. "I am sorry to bother you but Mainz starboard lubricant reservoir two is not opening up properly, what can we do about it to open it up more to ensure a proper refill of it?" Was the first question by an ensign. "Gunturret Dora is acting up again. We looked at the turret ring but could not find any issues. Do you know what it could be?" Was another. "This is quite the impressive book collection concerning rigging construction. Can we borrow some books?" Was the third question within the same blink of an eye. The young engineer had already more than enough. If he disliked one thing like nothing else in his place of work and that was chaos. "Alright!" He yelled over the small crowd and made them fall silent. "If you have questions you can ask for help or advice one after another. Since you don't seem to be able to do it by yourself you will form a row and I will take care of everyone of you." He informed them. "Also." He added, putting emphasis on his next words. "By everything that is dear to your lives, you will never and I mean Absolutely never touch any of my books without my explicit consent. Do you all understand me?" He asked rhetorically. All remained silent and he could see the odd face redden because of embarrassment. While he sat down his notebook that Prinz Eugen had given back to him, his guests formed a queue and he worked through each and every one of them and answered their questions.