No. 8 Chapter 7

The next thing the engineer felt was pain and his struggle to breathe. He realized he could not see anything because his helmet had moved over his eyes and the windshield was closer to his chin than in front of his face. Trying to get his hands to open the helmet's latch to take it off made him appreciate and delighted that apparently his arms and hands had not been injured. Pulling off the slightly deformed helmet, he felt some pain on his head and his ribcage hurting. Finally able to see again, he realized that he was laying in a large mess of hay. He righted himself up and thanked his guardian angel that apparently his ribs were not broken. He could breathe and move despite much pain. His legs seemed to be in order as well. Looking up from his immediate vicinity he realized a big group of people rushing towards him. He decided against standing up, not trusting himself to stand upright. But he waved with his arms to indicate that he was okay. Right away some stopped rushing towards him and only a couple of first responders and race guards continued to head over to him. In between them he also spotted the tall silver haired Shipgirl in her revealing outfit, which caused him to lose control and crash.

Before he could do anything he was already restrained by paramedics that made sure his own movements had not caused any worsening to potential impact damages and spinal injuries. Two men looked over his limbs while two more were apparently poking at an injury on the engineer's head. "It seems like a bruising of the ribcage and two lacerations on the scalp is all that happened." Explained the head medic after they had finished their examination. "We will take you to the ambulance and patch those two lacerations up there." They informed the engineer after dressing his head to stop the blood flow. When they tried to lift him on a stretcher the engineer protested. "I can walk, I have a head injury and not broken legs." He stated and tried to get up. He stared down the medic in front of him, who was about to make a complaint audible. "Let's just go to the ambulance." He offered while starting to head towards the exit of the racetrack. "Iron Bloods are weird." Mumbled one of the medics to the other after handing the engineer some painkillers. "They are completely nuts, why else would they be the way they are?" Agreed the other. Both stopped when they realized the tall and slender woman with silver hair was following them and the engineer towards the waiting ambulance. They also remained quiet when the cruiser entered the ambulance without asking for permission.

Inside Prinz Eugen saw the engineer surrounded by two of the medics who poked at his bloody head and hair after they had removed the temporary dressing again. "I mean if you insist we could stitch the lacerations right away. Although I would prefer to have you in the hospital." One of the doctors explained. "I just want to be done with it. You already said there was no reason to believe there are any cracks in my skull and no signs of a concussion or any other bad injury." The engineer insisted. "Alright, alright." The doctor relented and started to get things prepared to fix the engineer's injuries.
"Well, you certainly were an eyecatcher." The engineer stated his dry joke about the situation. "I guess I lost your bet." He stated the obvious. "Are you alright?" Prinz Eugen asked in return. "I think so. The lacerations and my ribs hurt, but that's it." He explained. "I guess I really have a guardian angel that does overtime." He smiled. "How can you be so cheerful?" She asked him, perplexed. "What else am I supposed to do? Moan and cry about it?" He asked her in return. "It would be more fitting in this situation." She agreed. "You should know better. All the adrenaline in my system ensures that I take things a lot more casual than they are. Just like you Shipgirls when you return with torn off limbs or holes the size of golfballs in you. Casual as if nothing happened. I will probably be a mess soon though." He explained, before Prinz Eugen could say anything, one of the doctors interrupted them. "We need you to hold still now while we clean the wounds and stitch them. Do hold on to something, we have no anesthetics here currently, but the painkillers should already kick in and we will administer local stunning of the nervous system to make things easier." He explained. "It will be alright." The engineer stated abnormally calm before receiving a rubber teeth protector to ensure he would not bite his tongue off or damage his teeth gritting throughout the procedure.