Chapter 3

The sun reflects brightly against the snow, already melting what little had fallen through the night. I stand in the middle of the field with my party: Tabitha, the four guards, and Byron. Despite my fur cloak, I feel the crisp morning fully, and my bare face turns pink on my cheeks and nose.

There is a lone tent constructed in the distance — our neutral ground. I have never had a meeting with an Alpha before. When two Alphas speak, it is alone with no advisors or guards or generals. It is two of the Goddess's beloveds sharing words, and if there is no Alpha blood pumping under your skin, then you are not welcome.

"Are you nervous?" Tabitha asks.

"No," I lie.

The moment I see Alpha Tophet and his own group, my breath catches and my feet begin to move. We will meet him halfway.

My heart thumps like a rabbit's foot — rapid and desperate. I know he is the tallest figure of the six approaching; an Alpha is always the biggest, the strongest, the one who intimidates and stares with a look heavy enough to crush one's last sense of hope. Alpha women are not the same. I do not tower, and I am not riddled with muscle. But my voice can demand and boom like his if I need it to. He is not as determined as I am — that I also know.

Once Tophet is close enough, I study him quickly. His tan face is a stoic statue, giving nothing away, but his eyes gaze thoroughly — reading me in return. His hair brushes the tops of his broad shoulders, wavy and dark. He is dark; everything about him is shadowed and hidden, and what lies on the surface is only what he needs in this moment. He needs to appear unbreakable and undefeatable, and he does, but it doesn't fool me. There is always more.

I would hate to see what I look like on the surface. He's probably observing a young woman he doubts is the Alpha he has asked to meet. She is utterly defeatable and breakable, but unlike Alpha Tophet, my weapons are concealed.

When our small armies meet, the Alpha peers to Byron and my guards. "Not expecting a woman?" I ask.

His eyes find mine, and something scatters in my brain like dropped coins.

"I had heard your father was replaced by his only remaining child. I figured you would be a girl when the term heir was not used," he says.

Tabitha steps closer to me. I glance to show her that I can handle it.

"You fought with your men?" I question, seeing plainly that he is not polished and pristine.

"Always."

"Oh, of course." I can't help myself. "You look like the rest of them: rugged — an animal best left to the outdoors not council rooms. Is that why we're meeting on a battlefield?"

"Have you yet to see one? History proves that a good leader is active with his people, fights alongside them. An Alpha who remains in the keep is no more than a coward."

"And a she-wolf who places herself in a hoard of murderous wolves is no more than a... well, I'm sure you know what terrible things would happen. Oh, but I'm sure your warriors are trained better, right?" My lips remain parted though my words pause. "Anyway, I came to negotiate as requested. I am willing to listen, but I make no promises of an agreement."

He grins slightly as if playing with food then steps aside and motions for us to carry on to the tent. I move in stride with him, having to work my legs faster in order to keep up.

As I walk beside him, I realize I may have been too bold in saying I can kill him. He seems to monitor all around his person without having to turn his head. I bet he's aware of everyone's placement and their speed and whether or not they make any strange movements or gestures. I must be cautious; one nervous quiver might trigger him to pounce.