Chapter 43

The days and nights following Alexei's waking seem to rush by, and before I know it, a week has passed. It was easy to lose myself in his radiance as he realizes the full potential of his increased speed and strength, his heightened senses, and his unexpected yet eagerly accepted carnality. I didn't think such infatuation was possible, but our mate bond is relishing our vampiric likeness, adapting and nourishing itself despite half of our souls now belonging to the God.

It makes me wonder if the mate bond is truly a creation of the Goddess as the Temple says, or if it is a natural condition in this world. If there are humans still hiding in the West, could they procure a mate bond? Could Tabitha; a being whole-heartedly dedicated to the God? It makes me hopeful for my children, that even though they will not be one particular thing, they may still experience this great of a love.

I exit the washroom in my silk dressing robe after having a bath. My muscles don't strain like they used to, and the heated water has no effect, but I still enjoy the smells of my oils and the tranquil time alone.

Gaius is traveling to Alexei's keep today, so I look through my dresses for another one of my new, mature styles. Whenever the dressmaker finishes another at my request, they appear in the wardrobe — the service is very sly in this way. Today a spring-time purple dress with quarter-length sleeves waits to be discovered, so I take it out and hold it against my body in the mirror. "Pretty," I murmur.

The apartment door through the front room opens and closes, and then Alexei is coming into the bedchamber appearing as though he's journeyed across the entire eastern continent. His hair is wind-swept, and his clothes are dirtied and wrinkled. I ask, "How was your hunt?"

He envelopes me from behind, burying his face in my neck and kissing it, making me wriggle. He's been hunting both shifted and unshifted more often than me and so he goes out on his own to satisfy his monstrous hunger. I run my hands along his arms crossed against my waist, and his hand slides under the fold of my dressing robe.

"I went farther out," he says, "nearly to Bylthe's territory."

I bend and jimmy myself from his palming. "You have to wash and ready yourself. Gaius is arriving, and you look like you've been working in the fields all morning."

"I went after a mountain lion — the biggest I've seen. I dealt with one shifted some years ago, but like this it was exhilarating. Though, I wish there was something faster for me to chase. Perhaps we could make a game of it; I hunt you, and once I catch you, I have my way with you."

I press my dress into my stomach. "I think it's possible you're drinking too much blood," I blame. "I think it's making you too virile."

"A man should be this way if he's going to impregnate his mate."

"And once I'm pregnant you'll relax?"

He grins. "No, I think the sight of you with child will drive me mad with lust."

"Wonderful," I dread whilst my lips ache to smile back. "Now can you clean up?"

Alexei heads for the washroom, saying, "All of this attitude explains your urgency to be on top this morning, doesn't it?"

"Perhaps it's pregnancy."

"I ask the Goddess every night to make it so."

"It will be. Just be patient with me."

He grabs the doorframe. "My love, please don't misunderstand my excitement as impatience."

"Okay. I won't."

"Good. I'll see you in the meeting room," he says and then leaves to wash.

Alone in the bedchamber, I undress rather quickly and work a fresh shift over my head, but I find myself pausing before the light fabric covers my stomach. I rub my lower abdomen and turn to the side to examine my profile. My diet is extremely bland compared to the sweets, creams, and meats I indulged in before changing — I believe I'll always look the way I do now for the rest of my life — but something is making me bloated.