Chapter 9

"What would you like to promise to your mate and bond?"

Alpha Tophet and I sit across from one another, and Senet sits at the end of the table, to my right. Although Senet is asking the question to both of us, I keep my gaze on my hands as they intertwine on the table in front of me. What would I like to promise? The question makes me rub my feet together — secretly slipped out of my shoes. They try to fight the tickle crawling up my leg.

Tophet clears his throat to throw out a comment. "I will promise to protect Brea and our bond for as long as I live," He musters.

"That is a very respectable promise." Senet nods wisely. "Alpha Pryor? Is anything coming to mind? Remember, this practice is only to gain a sense of what you will say during the ceremony tonight. It is not set in stone just yet."

I bite my cheek and look up. "I can promise to be patient with Alexei. I can promise to redirect him and our bond if one were to stray from the Goddess' path."

"Interesting. We should encourage one another to act righteously. How about truth? We may want to promise to be truthful. We may want to promise an everlasting love. These are common themes seen during this ceremony. And with an Alpha, or in this case, two Alphas, you may want to promise to care for and preserve your packs together."

Our packs together — if I promise that, he'll think I've made up my mind.

"I promise," my hand tremors, "to cherish Alexei and our bond."

Senet smiles. "Cherish — that is a wonderful word to use."

I can see it on Tophet's face — the boredom. This is the last thing he wants to do, but he's dedicated to our reputation, or, at least, to the grandiose picture he is trying to paint of it. Meanwhile, forcing out these pretty promises has me trying to smell painted flowers.

My hair — left plain for now — rests along my arms and chest. Tophet's distracted gaze travels to the very ends. "I'll promise to love her, my mate," he says, "my gift from the Goddess, righteously."

"Let us continue with this idea; what we would like the other to promise."

"Well, I would like Alexei to be more mindful of my wants and opinions."

"I would like Brea to choose her advisors more carefully," he counters.

I straighten my back. "Alexei should be less judgmental toward my family."

"Brea may want to promise to be trustworthy."

"I would like Alexei to listen when I speak — truly listen. I would like him to stop treating me like a child, like a shallow, naive, emotional, little girl. I am not raising my voice because I am immature; I am raising my voice because I'm frustrated and unsure... and ignored!"

I take a shaky breath then stand. "I have to get ready. Unlike Alpha Tophet, I have to wear a dress made of metal and rocks tonight."

I storm out of the otherwise empty drawing-room, no longer dedicated to my mated persona. Despite having her private apartment here, Tabitha waits for me in my own while Tophet holds our meetings. This meeting in particular was to prepare our speeches, or promises, for the most important part of the ceremony. Senet was supposed to help us with what to say, but his approach was less direct than I had hoped.

What I really wanted was for the priest to hand me a piece of parchment with my promise written for me.

My guard on duty today — Dorian — opens my chamber doors, and I effortlessly stride through. Tabitha lays along the divan and rises only slightly at the sight of me. "That was one of the faster ones," she says while lowering then passively waving a hand. "Your dress is still off being polished."