Chapter 13

The Goddess' steps fall delicately through two parallel evergreens. They are womanlike, not cloven — footprints quite similar in size to my own. I kneel before them on the frozen dirt, a collection of seven steps, and stare deeply into the crystalline makeup of the sixth. The inclusions are a network of nerves, and they sheen with life if analyzed close enough. The rainbow fragments appear and disappear at various angles, and the end of each step is a mystery in the ground beneath, perhaps rooting like an iceberg.

Karim kneels at the first step and firms his face to discourage tears. "They're glowing," he says. "Each a footstep cast in a mineral structure. When she stepped, the Goddess changed the ground and formed crystals — likely an entirely foreign, celestial substance."

The forest between our territories is vacant of life and void of sound. It's feather-stuffed and dense like a heavy winter blanket over my shoulders and head, enveloping and dividing reality as the lines on our maps.

I rode on Alexei's wolf — my most secret guilty pleasure — and guided as best I could. I would be lying if I said that my intuition knew where to go because the moment we stumbled upon the steps felt as random as any other. To my displeasure, I believe Alexei saw them first.

"Someone could try to dig them up," I warn. "Which is exactly why we need to protect them. They're priceless — sacred."

"That hasn't been confirmed yet," Alexei says from behind me.

I turn my head to mind him now that he's decent after shifting. "Are you not convinced?"

"Not until a priest believes it."

"There is a good chance they will." Karim stands but remains diverted. "In all of my studies I've never heard or seen of an occurrence like this."

"So you believe I should bring them here?"

Karim looks. "I think whatever this is, is worth the trouble."

I stand myself when Alexei comes to critique. He crouches, and I watch the side of his face and monitor his body for any subtle signs of an opinion. My bottom lip swells with blood between my teeth, so I inhale. "Karim has more faith in me than you do, my mate."

Alexei sends me a stern look.

"If the priests need to be convinced, all we have to do is tell them to touch one."

"Touch it?" Karim questions. "Does something happen when you do so? Have you done so?"

Somewhat unsure of my capabilities, I hesitate before saying, "Yes. I have."

Karim fixates again on the first step then stoops to feel it. My breath hitches on my tongue with no time to take back my words, and when he rests his three fingertips on the footprint, his mouth slackens. Alexei rises to detach him if necessary, but only a few moments later, Karim releases himself.

He lowers to his backside and wipes a hand down his face, silent for a moment longer before admitting, "It feels like her."

Alexei touches the fourth step and tortures me by saying nothing; it only becomes harder to read his face, more so than it already is.

"What else could create such a feeling?" Karim asks him. "This — this is truly something; I'll see to its verification myself."

I squeeze my hands at the thought of touching an imprint; it's not Her, only the trace of a thing I feel pierce, scratch, and drain endlessly. But through Karim's eyes, these steps are worthy of tears. What he feels are comfort and safety and the Goddess' heavenly lull.

And my blood is worthy of this. For a drink, the God will help the moon glare.

My frown eases in sudden adoration for myself, for signs of divinity.