Chapter 10

Don't speak, I think as I look at him. Don't promise me anything, please.

"My Brea, you are an extraordinary woman. Though you are young, you have faced many hardships courageously, already showing great promise."

I close my eyes, instantly overwhelmed.

"I may have waited two centuries for you, but I wouldn't change a thing; I'm grateful to have been there the moment you were able to find me so you need not long for your mate. I promise to make this the simple part, the painless part, the part of your life when you know that someone will stay forever. Under Her light, I promise that I will not leave you."

My tear of agony slips and escapes down my cheek, so I open my glassy eyes because he already knows. He releases one hand to caress my cheek and wipe my rogue tear. My heart thunders.

He continues, "I promise that you are safe with me. I promise to protect you from all the world's horrors."

Our hands reconnect, and I recklessly squeeze again, harder this time.

"I promise that from this day forth, we are equals, not an Alpha and Luna, but each an Alpha in their own right. I promise to honor you as a woman, a leader, and my mate until the end."

The end — the severer of all ties, all awareness and pain.

The final word is spoken, the ceremony reaches its peak, and I struggle to hold myself in. Senet steps forth with his crystalline bowl of water cleansed under a full moon. He proceeds to spray each of us with a flick of his drenched fingers. The larger droplets stream down my face, masking another traitorous tear.

I repeat after Senet. My voice blends with Alexei's. The spectators haven't moved, but I haven't heard or seen anything beyond our circle. This ceremony for everyone else has nothing to do with anyone but us; I know that now. But no matter how intimate our sacred vows feel, I can never keep this memory. It will be my downfall.

Our performance ends, and there is no more to promise. Attentions scatter, and the second I'm free, I flee the moon's spotlight. I slip behind the herd, turn into the back hallways of the temple, and fall against the shadows. My tears are untameable then, and they drip from my chin to the gemstones of my dress. My nails scratch the brick wall supporting me, and I bite my lip to withhold any unruly sobs.

They felt so real — his words — but the realist inside of me knows they can't be. It's all a part of our illusion, and I'll tell Alexei that my own promise was preached for the same purpose. I'll tell him that I said it to make us look good in front of our prestigious audience. I cried to make our show undoubtable.

Needing to mollify the thrashing in my head, I try to fist my dress and to transfer my emotions, but the gemstones refuse.

My Brea. Painless. Safe. Honor. Each is an open wound, festering.

I turn my head when the light from the main hall is interrupted. My shoulders push back, and my hands tidy my hair at the sight of him. Alexei moves closer, so I step off the wall to head back to the celebration, muttering, "Get out of my way."

He doesn't. He grabs my arm then swipes his fingers under my ear. I flinch then see the blood smeared on his fingers, so I touch it myself and encounter the same result. My lips seal to restrain any further sobs. I'm falling apart — leaking.

"It's nothing," I muster. "We can't be here; we have to get back to the keep before the guests arrive for our dinner."

Alexei ignores me, but I refuse to endure him any longer and move past anyway. It was wholly unfair to hear a man like him talk as he did. I won't submit to another infinite second of his voice or his encumbering stare.